Monday 30 June 2014

Nemesis Nick at Brean Leisure Park 21 Jun 2014 Midi Report

Date: Saturday 21 June 2014
Venue: Brean Leisure Park Fun City
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 21 June 2014.

Rationale For Trip
Having attended the RCCGB Summer Bash at Brean Leisure Park early September 2011, and gone there alone September 2012 and June 2013, I was equally determined to go there again this year. Saturday 21 June was predicted to be sunny all day, so I decided to go Saturday 21 June.

Getting To Brean Leisure Park
I awoke at 5:45 to get ready and catch the 7:21 bus from Bath Bus Station to Bristol Bus Station, whereupon I caught the 8:20 bus to Weston-super-Mare. Having reached Weston-super-Mare, the bus stop from which I was expecting to catch the onward bus to Brean was closed due to a cycle race. Fortunately I found another bus stop on the seafront where I was able to catch the 9:50 bus to Brean Leisure Park. I finally reached Brean Leisure Park at 10:40.

Brean Leisure Park

Morning Coffee
Having got to Brean Leisure Park, I went to Brean Splash Waterpark Café where I had a tall Americano and Twix. Whilst in the café I noticed some building work going on next door.

Fun City Morning Riding
Having left the café, I entered Fun City and immediately bought a wristband. Once fitted with my wristband I began with six goes on Astro Storm. Although a fun dark roller coaster, I question the need for the multi-coloured lights on the lift hill. I also question the need for the air currents as there is no air in Space. The looping coaster Shockwave, which I hoped to ride next, was out of action for maintenance. Next I enjoyed two goes on Caterpillar Coaster followed by two goes on Magic Mouse. Now that I'd ridden the three coasters operating today at least twice each, I rode the non-coaster rides Waltzer and Sky Diver once each.

Lunch at Subway
At this point I went to nearby Subway, where I had a 6 inch turkey and ham Sub and Sprite.

Fun City Afternoon Riding
Back in Fun City after lunch, I began with two goes on the Bumpy Slide. Both lanes that I slid down were really fast. Next I enjoyed one on Xtreme, followed by another two goes on the Bumpy Slide. Afterwards I rode Wave Swinger, Frisbee, X Factory and Sizzler once each; although I hoped to ride these four rides again later, I ended up not returning to them.

Next I enjoyed four goes on the log flume Wild Water, which has two rises and two falls. Even though it was a hot sunny afternoon, I put on my cagoule so as not to get wet. Afterwards I had four goes on Astro Storm. Its queuing time was generally a little longer than in the morning. During the rest of the afternoon I enjoyed Hellraiser, Xtreme and Wipeout once each, and one final go on Astro Storm. Finally I just had time for one go on Sky Diver before my wristband expired at 17:00.

Cumulative Summary of Rides at Brean Fun City

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
11
Bumpy Slide
4
Caterpillar Coaster
2
Frisbee
1
Hellraiser
1
Magic Mouse
2
Sizzler
1
Sky Diver
2
Waltzer
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
4
Wipeout
1
X Factory
1
Xtreme
2
TOTAL
34

Saturday Evening

Bus to Weston-super-Mare
After my wristband expired, I caught the 17:29 bus to Weston-super-Mare. As the bus proceeded along the southern end of the seafront, helicopters could be seen on the seafront lawn, as part of an air show that was taking place in Weston this weekend. Having left the bus outside Weston-super-Mare railway station, I walked to the sea front.

Takeaway
I went to Winston's Fish Bar, where I had takeaway cod and large chips, and sat in the paved area across the road from the beach to eat them. Afterwards I had a whippy ice cream from Charlie's Sweet Factory & Ice Cream Bar. Fish and chips and an ice cream are two must-haves when you're at the seaside.

Remaining Time In Weston
During my remaining time in Weston, I was going to go on Grand Pier and possibly have one or two rides. As I approached Grand Pier, the time was 19:05. Visitors now have to pay £1 to go on Grand Pier. Knowing I would only have time for about 15 to 20 minutes on the pier, which may have been insufficient to have walked to the end and had rides, I gave Grand Pier a miss. Instead I walked around a nearby section of the beach for a few minutes, and had a few pictures taken of me, but didn't build a sandcastle.

Journey Home
Having left the beach I walked to Alexandra Parade where I caught the 19:36 bus to Bristol Bus Station. Although the bus was a double decker, I was lucky to get a seat. Having reached Bristol Bus Station I caught the 21:00 bus to Bath Bus Station. I finally reached Bath Bus Station at 21:50, and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Re-riding three of the coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Magic Mouse) and many other rides that I first rode at Fun City September 2011.
Having six goes straight off on Astro Storm at the start of my visit.
Clocking up a total of 11 goes on Astro Storm, my highest count on that ride for a single visit to-date.
High total ride count overall.

Lowlights
Difficulty finding a stop in Weston-super-Mare where I could catch the bus to Brean.
Shockwave was out of action all day, so I was unable to ride that.

Summing Up
Altogether a fun day out on the Longest Day, which is officially the first day of summer. This was my fourth visit to Fun City to-date and my third solo visit there. It's a pity Shockwave was out of action all day, so I was unable to ride that, but I still enjoyed riding the other three coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Magic Mouse) and other rides again. Just one point about all four coasters, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood! Best of all it was a hot sunny day, just as had been forecast.

A more detailed report is available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment