Tuesday 19 May 2015

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 Semi-Final 1

Host country: Austria (ORF)
Venue: Wiener Stadthalle, Vienna
Hosts: Mirjam Weichselbraun, Alice Tumler and Arabella Kiesbauer
Green Room: Conchita Wurst
Date: Tuesday 19 May 2015

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Tuesday 19 May 2015.

The Opening
The first semi-final began with a flashback to Austria's win in Copenhagen last year, followed by Conchita Wurst singing last year's winning entry "Rise Like A Phoenix". About two thirds of the way through Conchita paused for a parade of tonight's 16 participating countries in the order they were to perform. Once all 16 artists had paraded through, Conchita sang the rest of "Rise Like A Phoenix".

The Songs
Thirteen minutes after the start of the show (20:13 BST) it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film featuring the artist in its own country receiving a parcel invitation to visit one of the Austrian provinces and taking part in an Austrian themed activity in that province.

Song 1: Moldova - Eduard Romanyuta "I Want Your Love"
It must be tough having to start the first semi-final, and this time that honour went to Moldova. The tune during the verses sounds somewhat similar to a British building society TV advert of the 1990s. What was the significance of the shiny leather costumes? Not bad a song to start tonight's show, and a lively one at that. I wouldn't mind it in Saturday's final but wouldn't miss it if it stays out.

Song 2: Armenia - Genealogy "Face The Shadow"
Now for a much slower song, a ballad from Armenia. I didn't think much of this when watching the online preview video, but thought it was considerably better sung live tonight. Even so, it's still one of those borderline songs that I wouldn't mind seeing Saturday night, but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Song 3: Belgium - Loïc Nottet "Rhythm Inside"
An unusual style of singing to say the least! I didn't think much of it whilst watching the online preview video and tonight's live performance isn't any better. What on Earth, in the world, is the purpose of the strobe lighting during the choruses? Is it really necessary? I'd rather this stays out of Saturday's final.

Song 4: The Netherlands - Trijntje Oosterhuis "Walk Along"
Now for a beautiful ballad from the Netherlands; one of my most liked contenders among the sixteen first semi-final preview videos, and definitely the best live performance so far this evening. What was the significance of the close-up of the face at the start of the song, and lace over Trijntje's face during most of the first verse? This definitely deserves to be in Saturday's final. Will the Netherlands walk along into the final? Time will tell.

Song 5: Finland - Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät "Aina Mun Pitää"
From one extreme to the other on the music spectrum, it's now Finland's turn. A bit of heavy metal performed by a singer with a croaky voice. Was this an attempt to mimic Lordi's winning act of 2006? This was my most disliked song of the sixteen first semi-final preview videos. Although I thought it sounded better live tonight, I still don't want it on Saturday. Please, please, please stay out of Saturday's final!

A short break followed at this point.

Song 6: Greece - Maria Elena Kyriakou "One Last Breath"
I wholeheartedly agree with anyone who claims this sounds remarkably similar to last year's "Rise Like A Phoenix" from Austria. Whilst watching the preview videos I sort of liked this song, and like it even better sung live tonight. An excellent power ballad, very well sung, and an order of magnitude better than atrocious Greek entries "Alcohol Is Free" and "Rise Up" of the last two years. Based on tonight's live performance alone, I definitely want to see this in the final. See you Saturday!

Song 7: Estonia - Elina Born & Stig Rästa "Goodbye To Yesterday"
Now for a beautiful duet ballad sung by one man and one woman. This was one of my most-liked first semi-final preview videos, and I like it just as much sung live tonight. I think the man's voice could have been a bit stronger at the start of the first verse, but never mind, I definitely want to see this Saturday night.

Song 8: F.Y.R. Macedonia - Daniel Kajmakoski "Autumn Leaves"
One of the entries I judged as borderline when watching the preview videos. Why is the lead singer wearing a raincoat for tonight's live performance? Could it be that's the sort of attire he would wear in autumn? A reasonable ballad, with a catchy chorus, accompanied by brown autumn leaves on the background screens. Based solely on tonight's live performance I'm still borderline about this song, I wouldn't mind seeing it Saturday but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Song 9: Serbia - Bojana Stamenov "Beauty Never Lies"
From one ex-Yugoslav country to another, Serbia's offering was a power ballad. It's quite a likeable song, with beautiful verses and catchy choruses. Was it really necessary for Bojana to go so over the top (almost scream) during the bridge? I think that spoilt what was one of the better entries of the night. Still I wouldn't mind seeing this Saturday night.

Song 10: Hungary - Boggie "Wars For Nothing"
I didn't think much of this whilst watching the preview videos, but I liked it much more sung live tonight. Although a slow song, it was a beautiful song, very well sung simultaneously by five singers. No dancing either, which is good really because at the end of the day it is a song contest, not a dance contest. I wouldn't mind seeing this Saturday night.

Song 11: Belarus - Uzari&Maimuna "Time"
This was one of my most-favoured songs among the first semi-final preview videos and I like this just as much sung live tonight. A good song with a really catchy chorus. I'd like to see this in Saturday's final.

Song 12: Russia - Polina Gagarina "A Million Voices"
Another of my most liked songs among the first semi-final preview videos, and another song to sound even better sung live tonight. It's a beautiful ballad with a really powerful, catchy chorus "A million voices". This is one of the songs I most want to see in the final.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 13: Denmark - Anti Social Media "The Way You Are"
Now for Denmark, who this year have entered a really lively song very reminiscent of The Beach Boys. This was one of my favourite first-semi-final preview videos, and I like it just as much performed live tonight. A really catchy song which definitely deserves to be in Saturday night's final. See you Saturday!

Song 14: Albania - Elhaida Dani "I'm Alive"
Albania have gone for an upbeat ballad this year. This was one of my least liked first semi-final preview videos. Although I thought it sounded better sung live tonight, it's still one of my least liked songs tonight. I'd rather this stays out of Saturday's final.

Song 15: Romania - Voltaj "De La Capat / All Over Again"
A ballad I felt borderline about whilst watching the preview videos, and I quite liked the live performance in a mixture of Romanian and English tonight. Nonetheless with so many songs tonight that I definitely want to see, I can only rate this as one I'd like to see Saturday but wouldn't mind not seeing.

Song 16: Georgia - Nina Sublatti "Warrior"
The final song of the night already, it's amazing how time flies! Another of my least liked first semi-final preview videos and I don't think tonight's live performance is any better. Please stay out of Saturday night's final Georgia, try again next year.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, Mirjam, Alice and Arabella reappeared to announce the start of the voting at 21:24 BST. A recap of the songs followed. The UK was unable to vote in tonight's final, and therefore UK viewers saw a message "UK VIEWERS CANNOT VOTE TONIGHT" at the bottom of the screen during the recap.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: The Netherlands, Greece, Estonia, Belarus, Russia, Denmark.
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Four (and no more) of: Moldova, Armenia, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Serbia, Hungary, Romania.
Prefer not to qualify: Albania.
Definitely don't want to qualify: Belgium, Finland, Georgia.

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: The Netherlands, Greece, Estonia, Belarus, Russia, Denmark, plus four (and no more) of Moldova, Armenia, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Serbia, Hungary, Romania.

Had the UK been voting in this semi-final, I would have voted for The Netherlands, Estonia and Denmark.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 Semi-Final 1 Results
Here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 21:56 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Tuesday 19 May 2015.

My desired qualifiers: The Netherlands, Greece, Estonia, Belarus, Russia, Denmark, plus four (and no more) of Moldova, Armenia, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Serbia, Hungary, Romania.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Albania, Armenia, Russia, Romania, Hungary, Greece, Estonia, Georgia, Serbia, Belgium.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Moldova, The Netherlands, Finland, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Belarus, Denmark.

What a shock result! I'm gutted and deeply upset that neither The Netherlands nor Denmark qualified as I thought both were two of tonight's best songs. Both were two of the songs I most wanted to see Saturday night. At the other extreme, I am appalled and disgusted that Georgia and Belgium reached the final because I thought they were two of the worst songs in tonight's semi-final. In my opinion, The Netherlands and Denmark deserved the places taken by Georgia and Belgium. Thank heavens Finland are out as their entry was, in my opinion, the absolute utmost worst of the night. As far as I'm concerned "Aina Mun Pitää" didn't belong in tonight's semi-final let alone Saturday's final. I'm glad that Greece, Estonia and Russia are through as I thought they were three of the best songs tonight, and among the six countries on my "Definitely want to qualify" list.

So that means three of my six "Definitely want to qualify" countries (Greece, Estonia, Russia) are through to Saturday's final. Just a 50% success rate there, but I guess it could have been worse. Funnily enough, just as I asked, exactly four of my six "Wouldn't mind qualifying" countries made it through, those being Armenia, Serbia, Hungary, Romania. However I only said that because I wanted all six of my "Definitely want to qualify" countries through, and four of my six "Wouldn't mind qualifying" countries as "fillers" to make up ten countries. Above all, I didn't want Georgia or Belgium in the final, both of which were on my "Definitely don't want to qualify" list.

Roll on Thursday evening for the other 15 semi-finalists. I hope I'll have a better success rate with my most liked countries going through that night.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment