Thursday 21 May 2015

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 Semi-Final 2

Host country: Austria (ORF)
Venue: Wiener Stadthalle, Vienna
Hosts: Mirjam Weichselbraun, Alice Tumler and Arabella Kiesbauer
Green Room: Conchita Wurst
Date: Thursday 21 May 2015

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Thursday 21 May 2015.

The Opening
The first semi-final began with an opening speech from the three hosts followed by a parade of tonight's 17 participating countries in the order they were to perform (except Poland who appeared between Ireland and San Marino).

The Songs
Nine minutes after the start of the show (20:09 BST) it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film featuring the artist in its own country receiving a parcel invitation to visit one of the Austrian provinces and taking part in an Austrian themed activity in that province.

Song 1: Lithuania - Monika Linkytė and Vaidas Baumila "This Time"
First to sing tonight was Lithuania. Their entry this year was an upbeat ballad with a really catchy chorus. I felt borderline about this whilst watching the preview video online, and think it's better sung live. For some reason this style of song reminds me of last year's Dutch entry. Has Lithuania taken a leaf out of their book? A good song to kick off the evening, I'd like to see this in Saturday's final.

Song 2: Ireland - Molly Sterling "Playing With Numbers"
Ireland have had many ballads over the years. This time they've gone for a ballad with a bouncy, catchy chorus. Well done Molly singing whilst playing the upright piano. She was accompanied by others playing other instruments, including the man on the drum kit. Interestingly Ireland have managed to do without their characteristic bodhran this year. Another song I felt borderline about when watching the preview videos, it's definitely better watching it live tonight. I'm swayed towards seeing this Saturday.

Song 3: San Marino - Anita Simoncini & Michele Perniola "Chain of Lights"
After three years of being represented by Valentina Monettam San Marino has chosen a duo to perform their ballad "Chain of Lights" this year. The chorus is quite catchy and I'm swayed towards this being in the final.

Song 4: Montenegro - Knez "Adio"
Now for Montenegro. After a longish introduction, Knez began singing a beautiful ballad. For some reason this reminds me of short-lived Serbia & Montenegro's debut entry "Lane Moje", by Željko Joksimović in 2004. Another song I felt swayed towards when watching the preview videos, Knez gave an excellent performance live tonight. Definitely the best song so far, this deserves to go through to Saturday's final; I really hope to see it there.

Song 5: Malta - Amber "Warrior"
The first song that failed to impress me when watching the preview videos was Malta. Although tonight's live TV performance sounded a bit better live, I'm still not overly keen on it. I think Amber's voice was too overpowering during the first chorus. I'd rather this stays out of Saturday's final.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 6: Norway - Mørland & Debrah Scarlett "A Monster Like Me"
Norway have gone for a ballad this year. Interestingly it began with the man singing alone, followed by the lady singing alone and then both singing together. Towards the end they changed to a more powerful key. I was unimpressed by this whilst watching the preview videos, but liked it considerably better live tonight. Based on tonight's live performance I wouldn't mind this going through, but wouldn't miss it if it's not in Saturday's final.

Song 7: Portugal - Leonor Andrade "Há Um Mar Que Nos Separa"
Oh dear. This is another song I didn't think much of whilst watching the preview videos, and I didn't think it was any better sung live tonight. I'd hope this stays out of Saturday's final.

Song 8: Czech Republic - Marta Jandová and Václav Noid Bárta "Hope Never Dies"
Now for Czech Republic, who are back for the first time since 2009. Their offering this year was a duet ballad. This was another of my less-favoured songs among the preview videos. It certainly sounded much better sung live tonight, but I still feel borderline about it. I wouldn't mind if this goes through but am not overly keen to see it.

Song 9: Israel - Nadav Guedj "Golden Boy"
I was slightly swayed towards this whilst watching the preview videos. Watching the live performance tonight, the first verse seemed a bit dull, but I very much enjoyed the lively, catchy choruses which were accompanied by a fun-to-copy dance routine. If there's anyone looking for an adult kids' Boogie Beebies big video in this year's Eurovision, this is it! I'm currently in two minds about seeing this in the final, I wouldn't mind it there, but don't want it there at the expense of better songs.

Song 10: Latvia - Aminata "Love Injected"
This was the song I disliked the most among the preview videos, and I dislike it just as much sung live tonight. What was the purpose of the flashing lights during the song? Were they really necessary? Please, please, please stay out of Saturday's final.

Song 11: Azerbaijan - Elnur Huseynov "Hour Of The Wolf"
A ballad sung by a male soloist, accompanied by two dancers. The song had a mixed key, the first verse was low key but this was followed by a powerful chorus. What's the significance of the totally eclipsed sun on the background screen? Another song I felt swayed towards among the preview videos; although I felt it was better live tonight I'm still borderline about it. I wouldn't mind seeing it Saturday but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Song 12: Iceland - Maria Olafs "Unbroken"
A song I was less-than-impressed with during the preview videos. Watching the live performance tonight it's alright, but I'm not overly keen to see this on Saturday.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 13: Sweden - Måns Zelmerlöw "Heroes"
One of my most strongly favoured songs among the preview videos, and as expected, it's better sung live tonight. What's the significance of the animated chalk drawing(s) alongside Måns at various times? An upbeat song with a really catchy chorus, but were the flashing lights really necessary during the chorus? I definitely want this in Saturday's final and will be shocked if it's not there.

Song 14: Switzerland - Mélanie René "Time To Shine"
Another song I particularly liked among the preview videos, Switzerland have gone for a power ballad this year. Based solely on tonight's live performance, it's quite a good song, but I question whether Mélanie's voice is strong enough at times. I'm currently borderline about it qualifying, but am still swayed in favour of it being in Saturday's final.

Song 15: Cyprus - John Karayiannis "One Thing I Should Have Done"
This year Cyprus have gone for a rather simple ballad with a catchy chorus. An excellent song, this was one of my most liked second semi-final preview videos and I think it sounds better still sung live tonight. Why did John appear in monochrome during the first verse and first chorus? This definitely deserves to be in Saturday's final.

Song 16: Slovenia - Maraaya "Here For You"
The penultimate entry already, Slovenia. I quite liked this when watching the preview videos, but quite frankly I think the lady sounded clearer on that video than live tonight. I'm now borderline about this; I wouldn't mind it in the final but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Song 17: Poland - Monika Kuszyńska "In The Name Of Love"
The final song already, it's amazing how time flies! This time Poland have gone for a beautiful ballad, which is much better than the garbage they entered last year. I quite liked this performed live tonight, however I'm nonetheless borderline about it being in the final. I wouldn't mind it in Saturday's final but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, Mirjam, Alice and Arabella reappeared to announce the start of the voting. A recap of the songs followed. The UK voted in tonight's final, and therefore UK viewers saw the voting numbers at the bottom of the screen during the recap.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Lithuania, Ireland, San Marino, Montenegro, Sweden, Switzerland, Cyprus.
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Norway, Czech Republic, Israel, Azerbaijan, Slovenia, Poland.
Prefer not to qualify: Malta, Iceland.
Definitely don't want to qualify: Portugal, Latvia.

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Lithuania, Ireland, San Marino, Montenegro, Sweden, Switzerland, Cyprus; plus three (and no more) of Norway, Czech Republic, Israel, Azerbaijan, Slovenia, Poland.

The UK voted this evening; I voted for Cyprus, Montenegro and San Marino.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 Semi-Final 2 Results
Here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 21:55 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Thursday 21 May 2015.

My desired qualifiers: Lithuania, Ireland, San Marino, Montenegro, Sweden, Switzerland, Cyprus; plus three (and no more) of Norway, Czech Republic, Israel, Azerbaijan, Slovenia, Poland.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement): Lithuania, Poland, Slovenia, Sweden, Norway, Montenegro, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Latvia, Israel.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Ireland, San Marino, Malta, Portugal, Czech Republic, Iceland, Switzerland.

I'm overjoyed Montenegro and Cyprus qualified as both are excellent songs; in fact I thought they were two of the best this evening, which is why I voted for them. Also I'm glad Lithuania and Sweden are through as they were among my most liked songs this evening. At the other extreme I'm appalled and disgusted Latvia are through, I thought their entry was tonight's worst song of all. I don't give a toss about the fact that they didn't qualify in six consecutive years from 2009 to 2014 inclusive; as far as I'm concerned their song this year wasn't good enough for the final. It wouldn't have hurt them to have a seventh consecutive year of not qualifying, they could always have come back next year with a song genuinely worthy of a place in the final. Thank goodness Portugal are out, their rather disappointing entry was another one I definitely didn't want in the final. I'm also glad Malta and Iceland are out as their entries, in my opinion, weren't good enough for the final.

Of my three most-desired qualifiers that failed (Ireland, San Marino, Switzerland), I'm most disappointed that San Marino are out. I liked their entry so much I voted for it. As for Switzerland I'm disappointed but not surprised it didn't qualify as I don't think Mélanie's voice was strong enough at times. That said, I'm surprised Slovenia made it through, I thought Maraaya's voice live on stage tonight wasn't as strong and clear as on the preview video, and was therefore surprised she went through. I hope she'll sound clearer Saturday night.

So that means four of my seven most desired countries qualified, a 57.1% success rate there. Five of my six borderline songs also qualified. Ideally I'd have liked all seven most desired qualifiers through, and just three of the six borderline songs (after the plus) to make up the ten. Still at least that's better than having Malta, Iceland or Portugal, which I didn't want, in the final.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment