Saturday 31 October 2015

Nemesis Nick's Birthday Outing 2015 Midi Report

Date: Wednesday 30 September 2015
Venue: Thorpe Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" in this report means Wednesday 30 September 2015.

Introduction
Wednesday 30 September 2015 was my 44th birthday. Just like last year, I decided to spend the day at Thorpe Park. During September booked a park entry ticket in advance, as well as the required combination of train tickets from Bath Spa to Staines and back. For the fifth year running I had a special birthday T-shirt of my own design printed, this time at John Moore Sports, Bath, about a fortnight before my birthday.

Getting to Thorpe Park
It was necessary for me to wake up exceptionally early at 4:00, to get ready and catch the 05:41 train from Bath Spa to Reading, followed by the 07:04 train to Wokingham and 07:26 train to Staines. Having reached Staines at 7:56 I enjoyed a much-needed cappuccino and butter croissant at Waitrose Café. Soon after 9:30 I caught the Thorpe Park Express bus from Staines Bus Station to Thorpe Park.

Welcome to Thorpe Park
When I reached Thorpe Park at 9:47 I collected my pre-booked ticket from the Advance Ticket Collection point and joined the back of the main queue to enter. Just before 10:00 the front shutters rose and visitors funnelled through the ticket check point.

Morning Riding
Once admitted I began with one go on the giant swing Rush, which was walk-on at the time. A mega fun ride to start my birthday visit to Thorpe Park. My first roller coaster ride of the day was Colossus, which was walk-on at the time. I managed to get on the first train of the day, and sat in the second row. Its vertical loop, horizontal corkscrew and other features made this another exciting ride. Afterwards I had a second go on Colossus, this time in the front row. I had to wait two runs for a front row seat. That ended up being my final go of the day on Colossus. My next ride was Zodiac. This giant wheel spins on an angle at high speed. Although great fun, once was enough for me; two goes on this straight off would make me giddy.

Next I enjoyed two goes on SAW - The Ride. This roller coaster featuring a vertical drop and loop was great fun, but I question the need for the lighting effects and air currents in the building as you wouldn't get those in a real factory sawmill. The waiting time was minimal for both goes. Soon after my second go SAW - The Ride closed due to high winds. At the time I felt glad I rode it when I did, but I've no idea whether or not it reopened later. From around midday until early evening I felt warm enough going around in just my T-shirt and shorts.

I approached Slammer, and got on to its very next run. Although not as scary as I feared, once was enough for now. I never returned to this later. After that, the wait for Nemesis Inferno was 25 minutes, so I decided not to go on it. Stealth was closed due to a problem; engineers were hoping to have it working later but no guarantee could be given yet. Tidal Wave was also closed. Eventually I got to Flying Fish, which was walk-on, so I decided to ride that next. This family coaster is undeniably tame, but nonetheless still worth riding to say I had been on it today. My one go on Flying Fish now was my only go on it all day.. As I left Flying Fish I met Planenut from the RCCGB, we spoke to each other for a few minutes. He noticed I had a birthday T-shirt again and liked it.

Lunch at The Coffee Shack
Afterwards I tried to get some lunch. Roast and Relish, where I most favoured going, was closed. I ended up going to The Coffee Shack in the Dome for a toasted chicken and pesto panini and a bottle of Sprite. I put my birthday card on my table for the duration of my lunch.

Afternoon Riding
After lunch I headed for Depth Charge, as it's quite a gentle ride. Once there I enjoyed one go per slide left to right (as viewed from the top). Next I approached Swarm. When this coaster opened in March 2012, all its seats faced forwards, but at the start of the 2013 season, the back two rows were reversed to face backwards to the direction of travel. I enjoyed one go backwards followed by one go forwards. The waiting time to ride backwards was longer than I'd have liked, but it was worth it. Thankfully I didn't have to wait so long to ride it forwards.

After that I fancied a few water rides. Having put on my all-in-one splashsuit to prevent me getting wet I enjoyed one go on Storm Surge. I took the one remaining seat in a dinghy containing other riders. One member of their group also happened to be celebrating his birthday that day and thus the others in the boat sang "Happy birthday" on behalf of me and that other person. Next I enjoyed one go on Rumba Rapids followed by two goes on Logger's Leap log flume. Having left Logger's Leap I removed my splashsuit and didn't go on any more water rides the rest of the day.

There were still plenty of rides I'd not been on. With less than an hour of riding time left I selected the ones I most wanted to ride, starting with one go on the indoor roller coaster X. I sat in the back row. Although worth riding to say I'd ridden it this visit, I wouldn't rate it highly. Next I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster Stealth. Going up the vertical lift hill, over the top and down the vertical drop gave a mega fun ride, albeit over too quickly for my liking. Reluctantly I limited myself to just one go as closing time was fast approaching. Finally I just had time for two goes on the inverted coaster Nemesis Inferno before the Park closed at 17:00. The ride was walk-on for both goes; I sat in row 5 for my first go and row 6 for my second go. The perfect ride to end my day at Thorpe Park. It was now time to leave the Park; on my way out had a few more photos taken of me. I also met Planenut and spoke to him again whilst heading for the Park exit.

Summary of my day at Thorpe Park in order of activity

Rush 1
Colossus 2
Zodiac 1
SAW - The Ride 2
Slammer 1
Flying Fish 1

Lunch at The Coffee Shack

Depth Charge far left slide 1
Depth Charge second slide from left 1
Depth Charge second slide from right 1
Depth Charge far right slide 1
Swarm (backwards) 1
Swarm (forwards) 1
Storm Surge 1
Rumba Rapids 1
Logger's Leap 2
X 1
Stealth 1
Nemesis Inferno 2

Cumulative summary of rides all day

Ride
Total
Colossus
2
Depth Charge far left slide
1
Depth Charge far right slide
1
Depth Charge second slide from left
1
Depth Charge second slide from right
1
Flying Fish
1
Logger's Leap
2
Nemesis Inferno
2
Rumba Rapids
1
Rush
1
SAW - The Ride
2
Slammer
1
Stealth
1
Storm Surge
1
Swarm (backwards)
1
Swarm (forwards)
1
X
1
Zodiac
1
TOTAL
22

Returning to Staines
Having finally left Thorpe Park just before 17:30 I walked across to the bus stop and joined the bus queue. I managed to get on the Thorpe Park Express bus which turned up at 17:49. Since it went via Chertsey, the journey to Staines took longer than the direct route from Staines to Thorpe Park in the morning. It finally reached Staines Bus Station at 18:38.

Birthday Dinner
My birthday fun continued back in Staines town centre. Around 18:50 I went to Harvester for my celebratory dinner. Once seated I placed my birthday card on the table and chose what I wanted to eat and drink. Eventually I ordered 7oz gammon steak (which included a fried egg, a pineapple slice, fries, peas and half a tomato, plus a fill-it-yourself salad bowl) for main course and one pint of Carling to drink. For dessert I had Honeycomb Explosion Sundae. Since it was my birthday, my sundae arrived with a burning candle in the top. The waiter and waitress who brought it sang "Happy birthday" to me.

Journey Home
Having left Harvester at 20:34 I walked to Staines railway station. Once there I caught the 20:53 train to Reading, whereupon there was time for me to buy a takeaway Americano before catching the 22:12 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 23:21 and home about ten minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Excellent weather, mainly sunny all day and hot for the time of year during the afternoon.
High overall ride count.
Satisfaction of riding all seven coasters in a single trip.
Unexpectedly meeting Planenut from the RCCGB just before lunch and again as I was leaving the Park after the rides closed.
Celebratory birthday dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre in the evening.

Lowlights
Tidal Wave closed so I was unable to ride that.
Bus journey from Thorpe Park to Staines in the evening took longer than desired.

Summing Up
Altogether a mega fun day out at The Nation's Thrill Capital to mark my 44th birthday. The weather was dry and mainly sunny all day, and sufficiently hot for just T-shirt and shorts from around midday. A summer-like day when it was officially autumn. Ride queues varied depending on the ride and time of day, but I tended to pick rides which were walk-on or had very short queues, even though that meant leaving Stealth and Nemesis Inferno to the end of the day. It was really satisfying to ride all seven coasters (Colossus, SAW - The Ride, Flying Fish, Swarm (backwards and forwards), X, Stealth, Nemesis Inferno) again. Just one point about the seven coasters, they're all steel. Come on Thorpe Park, get some wood! It was also great riding other non-coaster rides I first rode on previous trips, including Rush, Zodiac, Storm Surge, Rumba Rapids, and Logger's Leap. It's a pity I didn't have time to ride Detonator: Bombs Away, but never mind. Closing time always seems to come too soon at Thorpe Park. An unexpected added bonus was meeting Planenut from the RCCGB just before lunch and on my way out of the Park at closing time. Although we didn't have one ride together (which was a pity) it was great to talk to each other both times we met. The celebratory evening dinner at Harvester in Staines town centre was the grand finale to this special day.

Many people liked my self-designed birthday T-shirt. Some were puzzled when they first saw the front,` until I showed the back. Wearing that throughout the day added to the fun of celebrating my birthday.

A more detailed report is available here

Photos of my birthday outing are available here

No comments:

Post a Comment