Thursday 10 March 2016

RCCGB Loopathon 2015

Date: Saturday 3 October to Sunday 4 October 2015
Venue: Alton Towers and Drayton Manor Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn, Barry, Chris Fletcher, Dave Maryan, Dave Perry, Death, Doug and Charlie Turner, Gareth Preece, Happy Helen, Ian Gulliver, Ryan Hackett, Robert Nutter, Smiler, Sophia Jones, Stevie B.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Drayton Manor Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed. Not everyone, whether or not listed above, attended both Parks.

Introduction
The RCCGB's annual two-day autumn event to mark the end of the coaster season: Alton Towers on the Saturday and Drayton Manor Park on the Sunday. Members had the choice of attending either or both days; for various reasons I attended Drayton Manor Park only. This was my third time of attending Loopathon day 2 (Drayton Manor Park), and my fifth Loopathon overall since joining the RCCGB in March 2005.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Day 1 - Saturday 3 October
Day 2 - Sunday 4 October
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Saturday 3 October
The first day of Loopathon 2015 the RCCGB visited Alton Towers; the day included ERSs before opening and after closing, plus a lunch. For various reasons I gave day one a miss. The following outlines how I spent Saturday.

Getting to Tamworth
Since I wasn't attending Loopathon day 1 (Alton Towers), I set off for the Midlands Saturday late morning. I caught the 11:00 train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads, followed by the 11:30 train to Birmingham New Street, and finally the slightly delayed 13:19 train to Tamworth. Having reached Tamworth at 13:39, I checked into The Peel Aldergate where I stayed overnight.

Snowdome
Late afternoon I went to Snowdome. As well as an ice rink and several snow activities, this has a swimming pool with one water slide. I got to Snowdome in time for the 16:00 flume and inflatable session, which lasted 90 minutes. Having changed I headed straight for the flume. This water slide is a closed tube for about half way down, and open-top the rest of the way. Undeniably it's quite a tame water slide compared to ones I've been down elsewhere, but it's still fun to slide. The waiting time varied; sometimes I was able to go straight down it, and never more than a few minutes. Altogether I enjoyed 32 goes on the flume right up to when the session ended at 17:30. In fact that time was not just the end of the session, but also closing time for the swimming pool and water slide.

Rest of Saturday
Having left Snowdome I pottered around Tamworth town centre for a bit and around 19:00 went to The Silk Kite (Wetherspoon) for an evening meal. There I had Doombar pie with mashed potato, garden peas and gravy for main course, sticky toffee pudding with ice cream for dessert and half a pint of Abbot Ale to drink. I got back to my hotel just after 20:00 and relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 2 - Sunday 4 October
Loopathon 2015 continued Sunday 4 October 2015 at Drayton Manor Park, and I was glad to be there.

Sunday First Thing
I awoke at 6:45 and had breakfast just after 8:00. For breakfast I had a bowl of cornflakes, a glass of orange juice, a cup of coffee, and a full English breakfast. Just after 8:30 Sophia arrived to give me a lift to Drayton Manor Park. On the way there we went to the hotel where Sophia and Happy Helen had stayed the previous night in order to collect Helen. It was sunny at the time.

Welcome to Drayton Manor Park
Having reached Drayton Manor Park, Sophia, Helen and I entered the Tower Suite where everyone was waiting. Coffee was available, so I had a cup of coffee. During this time I met and spoke to several other members. Around 9:30 the Club entered the Park.

Apocalypse ERS
The day began with an ERS on the tall drop tower Apocalypse. Normally there are three ride options: sit down, stand up with floor, stand up no floor. At the start of the ERS the only ride option available was stand up with floor, so that's where I began. Having completed that go, the sit down option was available, so I enjoyed one sit down go. After that, the entrance doors were closed, thereby signalling that the Apocalypse ERS was over.

Summary of my rides on Apocalypse this ERS: Stand up with floor 1, Sit down 1. Did anyone beat me on that?

Morning Freetime
When the Apocalypse ERS ended, members gathered by the Intamin Stand-Up Coaster Shockwave for a group photo to mark Shockwave's 21st anniversary year. Afterwards several members including me took over Shockwave. This was my first roller coaster ride of the day. For now I limited myself to just one go, but knew I'd be back for more goes later.

Thereafter members dispersed around Drayton Manor Park taking over the rides. Several RCCGB members including me went on the gyro swing Maelstrom. Although one go on Maelstrom was fun, no way could I ride it twice straight off. Next I had a few rides in Thomas Land, starting with one go on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster. Afterwards I rode Toby's Tram Express, Harold's Helicopter Tours and Cranky's Drop Tower once each. Naturally Cranky's Drop Tower felt tame compared to Apocalypse earlier in the morning, but it was nonetheless a fun ride. After that I met Happy Helen and Sophia again, so we had one go on The Bounty Pirate Ship together. Finally, given that about four hours had now passed since my cooked breakfast, I felt like riding Air Race. Going sideways and upside-down felt unusual, presumably that motion is to simulate a somersaulting aeroplane. Although another fun ride, but one go on Air Race was enough for me.

Lunch
At 12:30 members exited the Park and went to the Tower Suite for lunch; however the time was around 12:50 when I got there. A wide assortment of food was available, and I filled my plate with pork, boiled potatoes, pasta, chips and salad. Of course a meal is not complete without a dessert, I had three profiteroles, with chocolate sauce and a few fruit slices. In addition everyone received (i) a souvenir mug (bearing the Drayton Manor Park logo, RCCGB logo and date of the visit) and (ii) a glass of champagne (or orange juice). I wasn't expecting either of those. Mr. William Bryan, from Drayton Manor Park, gave a speech about the Park, and everyone was asked to raise their glasses as a toast. Finally since this was the day of Christine Hine's 50th birthday, a cake was unveiled and cut into pieces. Many members including me had a piece. Nev also mentioned other members whose birthday was close to Loopathon (before or after) including me.

Afternoon Freetime
At 14:26 I re-entered the Park and resumed riding, starting with one go on Big Wheel. Next I enjoyed one go on Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission; thankfully the queue for this was quite short. Whilst walking around the Park afterwards, I happened to be just outside Polperro Express station just as the train was about to depart, so I got on and saw part of the Park you can't see on foot. After that I was going to ride Stormforce 10, but its queue seemed a bit long for my liking. After a few minutes several others left the queue, so I gave up and also left the queue. I didn't return to Stormforce 10 later. Next I enjoyed two goes on Shockwave; I stopped and spoke to a few other RCCGB members between the two goes. Afterwards I donned my all-in-one splashsuit for one go on Splash Canyon. Having removed my splashsuit I headed for Buffalo Coaster, but had to wait a few runs to get on it. This ended up being my final ride during normal opening time, because after I had completed one go on Buffalo Coaster, all the rides elsewhere were closed.

Evening ERS
Now that the Park had officially closed, the RCCGB had exclusive use of G-Force, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster and Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission for an hour. This time I was determined to ride all three during the ERS. I began with two goes on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, both of which were in the back row. Next I enjoyed two goes on Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission. Thereafter I spent the rest of the ERS on G-Force, and was surprised how quiet this was. On some of my goes there were so few RCCGB members on the train that some staff also had to ride to have enough people on board. Altogether I clocked up six goes as follows in various rows; I sat next to Adey on one go, Maxine on another and Robert Nutter on my final go. For my last few goes on G-Force I wore my fluorescent yellow Skatedrive cagoule, and my pink "Coaster Crazy Kid on Tour!" hi-vis waistcoat, largely because in August I was going to wear them for the evening ERS on Megafobia, which was cancelled. Altogether, another great ERS.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster 2, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission 2, G-Force 6. Did anyone beat me on that?

Final Send-Off
When the ERS ended members met again near the Carousel for the final send-off. Nev noticed me wearing my pink hi-vis waistcoat over my fluorescent yellow cagoule. Once everyone was present members formed a circle for Hokey Cokey. At the end first timers were called into the centre to form a small circle facing outwards for the group hug. This marked the end of the 2015 coaster season; at least as far as RCCGB trips are concerned. Finally everyone headed out of Drayton Manor Park. I spoke to a few other members one final time, including Doug and Charlie. Back at the car park members said their last goodbyes before heading home.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Air Race
1
Apocalypse
2
Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission
3
Big Wheel
1
Buffalo Coaster
1
Cranky's Drop Tower
1
G-Force
6
Harold's Helicopter Tours
1
Maelstrom
1
Polperro Express Train
1
Shockwave
3
Splash Canyon
1
The Bounty Pirate Ship
1
Toby's Tram Express
1
Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster
3
TOTAL
27

Journey Home
Around 18:30 Sophia, Happy Helen and I began our journey home. Along the way we stopped at Strensham Services on the M5 to have something to eat from McDonald's. I had a large Big Mac Meal for main course and strawberry sundae for dessert.

More about Sunday at Drayton Manor Park available here

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Sliding the flume at Snowdome Saturday late afternoon.
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again.
Morning ERS on Apocalypse.
Adding Toby's Tram Express, Harold's Helicopter Tours and Big Wheel to my ride count.
Re-riding the five coasters (Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, Buffalo Coaster, G-Force) which I first rode during Loopathon 2011.
High overall ride count (ERSs and normal time combined).
Delicious and filling two-course lunch at Tower Suite.
Evening ERS on Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission and G-Force.
Hokey Cokey and group hug at the end.

Lowlights
Apocalypse stand up no floor option unavailable (but at least I did the other two ride options during the morning ERS)

Unexpected Surprises
Free mugs for everyone lunchtime for the third year running.
Glass of champagne (or orange juice) lunchtime.
G-Force being so quiet during the evening ERS.

Summing Up
Altogether an excellent weekend, with a great turnout on Sunday. It's a pity I didn't attend Alton Towers on Saturday, but I enjoyed sliding Snowdome's water slide Saturday late afternoon, and had a mega fun day at Drayton Manor Park on Sunday. The weather on Sunday was good, dry and sunny all day, and surprisingly warm for early October during the afternoon. It was great meeting other members including Andy and Christine Hine, Adey and Katelyn, Doug and Charlie, Happy Helen, Sophia Jones and other members again. Also it was great to re-ride the five roller coasters (Shockwave, Troublesome Trucks Runaway Coaster, Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission, Buffalo Coaster, G-Force) which I previously rode during Loopathon 2011 and Loopathon 2014. Just one point, they're all steel. Come on Drayton Manor, get some wood! Many members liked my 44th birthday T-shirt; I wore that as Loopathon day 2 happened just 4 days after my birthday (30 September 2015).

Many thanks to Andy Hine for organising this trip, the ride staff for operating Apocalypse before opening and three coasters after closing, the catering staff for the delicious and filling lunch, and William Bryan for his after-lunch speech. Thanks also to Sophia for kindly giving me lifts from The Peel Aldergate, Tamworth to Drayton Manor Park in the morning, and all the way home to Bath in the evening.

Roll on the 2016 Blackpool Bash, I hope to be there.

Reflections
Having first joined the RCCGB in March 2005, here is my track record for Loopathon attendance in eleven years of membership 2005 to 2015 inclusive:

2005 & 2006: Alton Towers only
2007 to 2010: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2011: Drayton Manor only
2012 & 2013: Did not attend Loopathon at all
2014 & 2015: Drayton Manor only

So this can be summed up as:
2 x Alton Towers only (2005, 2006)
3 x Drayton Manor only (2011, 2014, 2015)
6 x Missed Loopathon altogether (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)

After all this time, I've still never attended a complete Loopathon in a single year. I really must try and make the effort to do so next year in what will be my 12th year of RCCGB membership.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment