Thursday 11 August 2016

RCCGB Summer Bash 2016

Date: Saturday 9 July 2016
Venue: Paultons Park
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Doug and Charlie Turner, Heather Hall, Lucy Cosnett, Mark Blundell, Matt Walker, Smiler, Stevie B, Wendy Evans.

DISCLAIMER: The above is NOT intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Paultons Park. I sincerely apologise to anyone I've not listed.

Rationale for Trip
A one-day mini trip from the RCCGB. Until 2011 the Summer Bash was an annual event each June or July (although in 2011 it took place early September), and normally at a park which had just opened a new coaster or other ride. For various reasons there was no Summer Bash in 2012, 2013 or 2014. In 2015 a Summer Bash was anticipated to take place at Dreamland Margate on Saturday 4 July 2015, to ride the restored wooden coaster, but for some reason a substitute meet-up was held at Brighton Pier that day instead. Whether or not that meet-up at Brighton Pier was still officially called Summer Bash 2015, or just "Meet at the Pier" or no official name at all is unclear. Either way there was no doubt that this year the Summer Bash was officially back as the Summer Bash 2016, and it was held at Paultons Park near Romsey, largely due to two new coasters Velociraptor and Flight of the Pterosaur.

Getting to Paultons
For me an exceptionally early awakening was necessary for me to get myself ready in time to catch the 06:07 train from Bath Spa to Salisbury. Having got there just over an hour later, I walked to the city centre, where I just had time to buy myself a takeaway coffee from McDonalds before catching the 07:40 Southampton bus. At 08:27 I left the bus at the Mortimer Arms, crossed the main road and began walking up the long driveway to Paultons. Unexpectedly another member saw me and gave me a lift up the driveway to the main gate.

Welcome to Paultons
Several other members were already at the main gate when I got there. Doug and Charlie were the first members I spotted in the car park, so I spoke to them briefly. Other members gradually arrived after me. Whilst waiting to go in, I met and spoke to several members including Matt Walker, Mark Blundell, Heather Hall, Lucy Cosnett and Wendy Evans. I was originally led to believe the Club was going to enter the Park at 09:00, but for some reason, the Club entered the Park at 09:30. Before going in, everyone was informed that they would have to stay within the Lost Kingdom area until the public were admitted at 10:00. Just inside the porch, a welcome message was on the screens above the inner doors. Members posed for a group photo in front of the screens.

Morning ERS
Without further ado, the Club proceeded to the new Lost Kingdom area for a half-hour ERS on the two new coasters Velociraptor and Flight of the Pterosaur.

Velociraptor
One of two new coasters in the new Lost Kingdom area of Paultons, this Vekoma Family Boomerang (Custom) has been operating since 17 May 2016. I had two goes on this as follows:
First go: I sat in the front row. The train was pulled backwards to the top of a hill, released and went downwards, through the station, around its course until it reached another hill at the other end. Much to my surprise, the train did not go all the way to the top of that hill; it only went part way up. Being as the train had now reached a dead end, it had to travel backwards the way it had come. On the return journey it overshot the station to go part way up the hill, and forwards again to terminate at the station.
Second go: I sat in the back row. By sitting in the back of the train, I went further up the launch hill (behind the station), but didn't go so far up the distant hill. Apart from that the ride experience seemed barely any different to the front row.

A fun ride, similar to Ben 10 - Ultimate Mission (which is a Vekoma Family Boomerang 185m) at Drayton Manor Park, but tame compared to the much larger Boomerang at Pleasure Island Cleethorpes which I rode in summer 2010.

Flight of the Pterosaur
The other of two new coasters in the new Lost Kingdom area of Paultons, this Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster 395m has been operating since 17 May 2016. According to the RCDB, it's one of four coasters of this model currently operating worldwide, but the only one in the UK. Being a suspended coaster, the train hangs below the track, however it cannot be compared with inverted coasters such as Nemesis (Alton Towers), Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Park) or Infusion (Blackpool Pleasure Beach). During what remained of the ERS, I had time for three goes on Flight of the Pterosaur; the third of which I sat next to Brian. Altogether I thought this was a more exciting ride than Velociraptor.

Summary of my rides this ERS: Velociraptor 2, Flight of the Pterosaur 3. Did anyone beat me on that?

Free Time
The ERS ended when Paultons opened to the public at 10:00. At this point members were able to spread around the entire park and take over the rides for the rest of the day. There were no further organised activities just for the Club later in the day. For now I stayed in the Lost Kingdom.

Flight of the Pterosaur
My first ride during normal opening time was one more go on Flight of the Pterosaur. This time I sat with Mark Blundell in the second-from-back row. This ended up being my last go of the day on Flight of the Pterosaur.

Dino Chase
Formerly Flying Frog from 2003 to 2015, this Zierer Tivoli - Small (variant) was re-themed and renamed Dino Chase in 2016 when it became integrated into Lost Kingdom as other Lost Kingdom rides and attractions were installed around it. It is the Park's smallest coaster. One go consists of three laps. I ended up having two goes on this:
First go: as I approached the train Smiler was already in one of the seats. There was enough space in that row for me as well, so I sat next to him.
Second go: this time I rode alone in the back row.

As far as I'm concerned, riding Dino Chase under its new theme seemed no different to riding it as Flying Frog on all my previous visits. Although not a particularly thrilling coaster, it was worth riding again under its new name and theme.

Boulder Dash
Basically a variation of a waltzer, this Zamperla dinosaur-themed ride has egg and boulder shaped ride cars. When it was my turn to ride I sat in a boulder. Another fun ride, but I only had one go for now and, as it happened, didn't return to this later.

Coffee Break
At this point I went to Base Camp for a much-needed coffee. Whilst there I saw Nev, Christine and various other RCCGB members. I spoke to Christine for a few minutes.

Temple Heights
Formerly located in another part of the Park under the name Magic Carpet, this Zamperla magic carpet ride was relocated to Lost Kingdom, re-themed and renamed Temple Heights. It has two rows of seats on a platform which rises and falls. Another fun ride, but my one go on this now was my only go on this all day.

Sky Swinger
A Zierer Wave Swinger 40 which opened in 2008. This one has single and twin seats. The central unit rises and spins clockwise for a few minutes, during which the seats are forced outwards. Great fun, but once was enough for me for now.

Dragon Ride
Despite being circular, this has a distinct head (front end), seats along the length of the ride, and a tail (back end), but the tail doesn't quite touch the head. It starts in a clockwise direction, which due to the direction the seats face forwards. Very soon you go around the outside really quickly, and there's some up and down movement. Mid way through the ride stops and goes backwards, which feels odd. Another fun ride, but once was enough for me; no way could I have taken two goes straight off!

Having left Dragon Ride, I suddenly met Nev near the go-karts. He asked me if I'd ridden Edge yet; when I said I hadn't yet, he advised me to ride Edge next as he reckoned it was on top setting.

Edge
This Zamperla Disk-o-Coaster opened in 2009. Unlike Disko at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, this has a hump in the middle. You sit facing outwards at the edge of the disk, which spins as it travels towards the high end (station end), back near the hump, and towards the high end (station end). After a few goes, it finally crosses the hump to reach the other high end, back and forth a few times. Altogether this was really exciting, but once was enough for me; no way could I have taken two goes straight off.

I was going to go on the tall drop tower Magma next. Although the queue looked a bit long for my liking, I joined it anyway. Shortly afterwards some people walked away from the queue back towards the entrance. Someone reckoned there was a problem with the ride. Rather than hang on and wait for an official announcement about the situation, I exited the queue and went to look for some lunch.

Lunch
After looking at a few catering outlets around the Park, I ended up going to the Wild Forest Restaurant for lunch. There I had a jacket potato with beef chilli and a 7-up to drink.

Gardens
Knowing it would be unwise to return to riding too soon after eating, I went for a walk around John and Anne's Garden. I particularly liked the sculpture in the centre, as well as the assortment of flowers around that garden. Other gardens I explored included the Main Garden and the sunken garden.

Dinosaur Photo
I got back to Lost Kingdom in time for the 14:00 appearance of the dinosaur. Several visitors including me queued to be photographed with it. Hence I had to wait about ten minutes to have my picture taken with the dinosaur.

Cat-O-Pillar
Formerly Stinger from 2000 to 2014, this Zierer Tivoli – Medium family coaster, located in the Critter Creek area of the Park, was renamed Cat-O-Pillar in 2015. When I approached this the queuing time was longer than I would have liked; I had to wait a few runs to get on it. Nev joined the back of the queue shortly after me, and I briefly spoke to him when he got there. When it was my turn I sat in the front row to have an unobstructed view of the track ahead of me. One go consists of two circuits of the track. A fun ride, but I noticed no difference since it was called Stinger. Due to the queuing time I limited myself to just one go for now.

Tea Cup Ride
A typical tea cup ride, no further explanation needed. Although the cups spin themselves, one can turn the table clockwise or anticlockwise to spin the cup faster. I didn't bother turning the table; instead I just relaxed and let the cup spin with the normal flow of the ride. The way I rode it was great fun, excessive spin speed (faster than I can take) just spoils the fun. I only had one go on this.

Jumping Bean
Made by Moser Rides, this vertical drop ride has two seat units (one each side of the tower). It's a baby one compared to Ice Blast at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but still great fun. I enjoyed one go on this ride, seated on the side facing the path.

Having left Jumping Bean, I headed towards Peppa Pig Land. When I got to Station Kiosk, I treated myself to a whippy ice cream before my next ride.

Rio Grande Train
A train ride around the outside of Peppa Pig Land (N.B. this was here long before Peppa Pig Land was built). This can be seen as a rest ride, and a way to see some of the Park's scenery. I only had one go on this.

At this point I went into Peppa Pig Land with the possibility of trying out some of the rides there.

Grandpa Pig's Boat Trip
One of the rides in Peppa Pig Land, this features boats on spokes, which rise and fall slightly as they go around in a circle. Not a particularly thrilling ride, and I was surprised how short the ride time was (I thought it would be a little longer), but anyway it was a worthwhile addition to my ride count. I only had one go on this.

Peppa and George Appearance
At 16:00 Peppa and George appeared so visitors could be photographed with them. I joined the back of the queue, which was rather long. After a few minutes I was concerned how long it would be before it was my turn, and whether or not it was really worth waiting to have my picture taken with Peppa and George, bearing in mind the time I spent queuing could perhaps be better spent waiting for a ride I had not been on yet. Determined to have my picture taken, I remained in the queue. After queuing for about a quarter of an hour, it was my turn to have my picture taken with Peppa and George.

Peppa's Big Balloon Ride
A balloon ride in Peppa Pig Land, similar to Diego's Rainforest Rescue in Nickelodeon Land at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I had to wait a few runs to get on this, and during that time I asked myself if I was absolutely sure I really wanted to ride this, bearing in mind time spent queuing for this could perhaps better be spent waiting for / riding another ride I had a greater desire to go on somewhere else in the Park. Determined to go on Peppa's Big Balloon Ride, I remained in the queue until it was my turn to get into a basket. The balloons began travelling around the tower. Shortly afterwards the set of balloons rose to the tower top where they continued travelling around the tower high up. Eventually the balloon cluster descended to ground level and the ride completely stopped. Altogether this was a tame, but fun ride, and another addition to my ride count. I limited myself to just one go.

Once my go on Peppa's Big Balloon Ride had finished, I left Peppa Pig Land as there were other rides elsewhere in the Park, some of which I'd not been on yet, which I had a greater desire to ride than the other Peppa Pig Land rides.
Viking Boats
As I walked across the Park, I passed the Viking Boats, so I decided to go on them. I got there just in time to take one of the remaining few available seats as the next run was about to start. These boats go round and round in a circle. I only had one go on these.

Cat-O-Pillar
The queue for Cat-O-Pillar was now considerably shorter than when I rode it earlier in the afternoon, so I decided to ride Cat-O-Pillar next. This time I sat in the second row. Once again I limited myself to just one go as there were other rides at the other end of the Park I was still hoping to go on before having to leave.

Raging River Ride Log Flume
A log flume. You go up a lift, round a bend, down a drop, round a bend, up another lift to a higher level than the first, then down a big drop, and finally back to the docking point. The queuing time for this was quite short. Whilst waiting I put my cagoule on to prevent me getting wet. When it was my turn, I sat in log 1 and enjoyed the ride. I only had one go on this.

After that, I realistically had time for one more ride before leaving. From the top of the log flume I had already noticed no movement on Magma and Edge, hence I assumed they were both closed and I didn't bother approaching them to check

Sky Swinger
My final ride of the day was Sky Swinger, largely due to its close proximity to Raging River Ride Log Flume. As I approached Sky Swinger I managed to get straight on to one of the remaining empty seats just before the start of the next run. The ride experience was just the same as when I rode it late morning. Once again, one go was enough for me, no way could I have taken this twice straight off.

Summary of my day in order of activity

ERS: Velociraptor 2, Flight of the Pterosaur 3

Normal time
Flight of the Pterosaur 1
Dino Chase 2
Boulder Dash 1

Coffee at Base Camp

Temple Heights 1
Sky Swinger 1
Dragon Ride 1
Edge 1

Lunch at Wild Forest Restaurant
Walk around gardens
Dinosaur photo

Cat-O-Pillar 1
Tea Cup Ride 1
Jumping Bean 1

Whippy ice cream at Station Kiosk

Rio Grande Train 1
Grandpa Pig's Boat Trip 1

Photo with Peppa and George

Peppa's Big Balloon Ride 1
Viking Boats 1
Cat-O-Pillar 1
Raging River Ride Log Flume 1
Sky Swinger 1

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Boulder Dash
1
Cat-O-Pillar
2
Dino Chase
2
Dragon Ride
1
Edge
1
Flight of the Pterosaur
4
Grandpa Pig's Boat Trip
1
Jumping Bean
1
Peppa's Big Balloon Ride
1
Raging River Ride Log Flume
1
Rio Grande Train
1
Sky Swinger
2
Tea Cup Ride
1
Temple Heights
1
Velociraptor
2
Viking Boats
1
TOTAL
23

Returning to Salisbury
The Park was due to close at 17:30 that day, but I left just after 17:20 in order to give myself adequate time to walk to the bus stop. Back at the car park, I had a spot of bother finding the driveway. Fortunately I soon found it and, with a mixture of running and brisk walking, proceeded back towards the main road. At 17:33 I was back at the Mortimer Arms bus stop. Once there I had just a few minutes to wait for the 17:41 bus to Salisbury. The bus terminated in Blue Boar Row (outside Debenhams) at 18:27.

Evening Meal
Having left the bus I went straight to Pizza Hut in Blue Boar Row, which was just a few doors away. There I enjoyed a delicious BBQ Meat Feast pizza, and an accompanying fill-it-myself salad bowl. For dessert I chose had an Ice Cream Factory ice cream.

Journey Home
After leaving Pizza Hut I walked back to the railway station. Once there I caught the 20:57 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 21:52, and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Meeting members I'd met on previous Club trips again
Morning ERS on Flight of the Pterosaur and Velociraptor
Adding Flight of the Pterosaur and Velociraptor to my coaster count
Re-riding other rides around the Park, including Dino Chase, Cat-O-Pillar, Jumping Bean, Sky Swinger and Raging River Ride Log Flume.

Lowlights
Cobra out of action all day
Ride count lower than my previous visits to Paultons

Summing Up
Altogether another excellent Club trip. Although only a one-day trip, it was still great fun. A nice and straightforward little trip too, just a half hour ERS followed by free time the rest of the day. It was great for me to add Velociraptor and Flight of the Pterosaur to my coaster count, and to re-ride Flying Frog and Stinger under their new guises. Also it was a pleasure to meet other members including Andy Hine, Matt Walker, Mark Blundell, Wendy Evans, Lucy Cosnett, Doug and Charlie and others again. It's a pity I wasn't able to ride Cobra, as it would have been a delight to have ridden all five coasters in a day, but you can't win them all I suppose. Just one point about the five coasters, they're all steel. Come on Paultons, get some wood! Best of all, the weather was favourable; dry all day with sunny spells. Many thanks to Nev for organising this trip, and to the ride attendants for operating Flight of the Pterosaur and Velociraptor before opening.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment