Monday 6 March 2017

Nemesis Nick at Funland 15 Oct 2016

Date: Saturday 15 October 2016
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 15 October 2016.

Rationale for Trip
After my birthday outing to Thorpe Park and RCCGB Loopathon day 2 at Drayton Manor Park, I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland Hayling Island one Saturday in what remained of October 2016. For various reasons I chose to go Saturday 15 October 2016.

Getting to Funland
I got up early in order to catch the 07:36 train from Bath Spa to Southampton Central, followed by the 09:13 train to Havant. Having reached Havant just before 10:00, I walked to the bus station as quickly as possible. I got there in plenty of time for the 10:15 number 30 bus to Hayling Island.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Coffee
When I finally reached Funland at 10:38, I felt like a coffee before going into Funland. I went into Beachlands Cafeteria, which is conveniently located next-door to Funland, to enjoy a mug of coffee and a flapjack.

Morning Riding
Having left Beachlands Café I went straight into Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. As I walked around the park, I quickly noticed that the ride chart (which lists height restrictions and tokens required) stated that Drop tower was out of action. I also spotted several changes since my last visit in October 2014, including:
·         Klondike was no longer there; in its place was the new-for-2016 coaster Runaway Mine Train.
·         Flying Saucer had been relocated within the park.
·         Sid's sizzling snake slides (a pair of spiral tube slides) had been added.
·         Helter Skelter was no longer there.

Runaway Mine Train
This L&T Systems Wild Mouse 30x20 previously operated at Gulliver's Warrington as Wild Mine Ride from 1999 to 2015. Since 2016 it's been operating at Funland as Runaway Mine Train. It's located where Klondike Gold Mine stood from 2005 to 2015. The track layout is just like that of a typical steel mouse coaster. Its ride cars are truck-like, with a front and back row. Keen to add this new-to-me coaster to my coaster count, I began my day at Funland on Runaway Mine Train. I got into one of the ride cars, and once despatched, the ride experience was similar to other steel mouse coaster. For now I only had one go, but knew I'd want more goes on this later.

Cannibal Pots
This is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. One can make the cauldron spin faster by turning the table whilst the ride is in motion. In order not to spin the cauldron too fast for my liking I only turned the table a bit for a brief part of the ride, and let the cauldron spin of its own accord the rest of the time. For now I just had one go, in cauldron number 7.

Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon Roller Coaster)
This Pinfari Super Dragon MD31 previously operated at Drayton Manor Park as Super Dragon from 1984 to 2007, but has been operating at Funland as Super Dragon Roller Coaster since 2008. Its official name is currently uncertain, because the Roller Coaster Database now lists this coaster as Funlandasaurus (with Super Dragon as a former name up to 2015), but the Funland website still lists this as Super Dragon Roller Coaster, and the Funland staff still call it Super Dragon. Furthermore the name on the front of the platform was Super Dragon until my last visit in October 2014, but this was my first time of seeing Funlandasaurus on the front of the platform. One ride consists of multiple laps, however I didn't count the actual number of laps. For now I just had one go in the front row.

Samba Balloon
A Zamperla balloon ride, similar to Diego's Rainforest Rescue in Nickelodeon Land at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Once I was seated the balloons rose and went around clockwise. Eventually the balloons returned to ground level and stopped. Undeniably this is a rather tame ride, but it's still great fun, and if nothing else, can be seen as a gentle rest ride. For now I only had one go.

Cyclone
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere; you may have seen it called Twister. This ride has been operating at Funland since 2014. A fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but once was enough for me for now.

Woody's Coaster
This Cavazza Diego Super Nessi Junior Coaster has been operating since 2001. Despite the name, it's actually a steel coaster. However each ride car resembles a log, which probably explains why the coaster is called Woody's Roller Coaster. One ride consists of three laps. For now I had one go.

Extreme
This Miami ride began operating at Funland in 2013. I didn't count how many seats there are on this particular one, but anyway, the ride experience was just like any other Miami. A fun ride, but once was enough for now.

Having now ridden several of the rides once each, it was time to re-ride some of what I'd already ridden.

Cannibal Pots
My second go of the day on this cauldron ride, this time I sat in cauldron number 8. Once again I limited myself to just one go.

Runaway Mine Train
Now for a few more goes on this new-for-2016 mouse coaster. I ended up having two goes straight off. The ride experience was just the same as earlier.

Woody's Coaster
From one roller coaster to another, I decided to ride Woody's Coaster next. Just like when I rode it earlier in the morning, one ride consisted of three laps. For now I had just one go, but knew I'd ride it again later.

Sid's sizzling snake slides
Another addition to Funland since my October 2014 visit; these are two spiral tube slides. One is orange and the other is green. You take a hessian sack, walk up the spiral steps inside the tower and choose which slide you wish to go down. Since adults are allowed to go on them, I was eager to try them out. I enjoyed one go on the orange slide followed by one go on the green slide. By lying on my back whilst sliding them, I went down both of them quite quickly. This was my only time of sliding these all day, I didn't return to them later.

Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon Roller Coaster)
My final coaster ride before lunch, one go on Funlandasaurus. Just like earlier, one go consisted of multiple laps of the track.

Cyclone
My final ride before lunch was the Cyclone. Riding this now was the same as it was during my previous go on it earlier in the morning. Once again, one go was enough for me for now. This was the perfect spin-me-around ride to enjoy before lunch.

Lunchtime and After
Around 13:20 I left Funland to have some lunch at Beachlands Café. Feeling like something hot, I chose beans on toast. I also had a mug of coffee. Having left Beachlands Café I went for a walk along the beach in an easterly direction, across the grassland Funland and eventually back to Funland.

Afternoon Riding
Around 14:15 I returned to Funland and without further ado returned to riding.

Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon Roller Coaster)
My first ride of the afternoon was on Funlandasaurus. Once again the ride consisted of multiple laps. For now I only had one go, which turned out to be my final go of the day on here.

Runaway Mine Train
My first go on this new-for-2016 mouse coaster for the afternoon. Riding it now was just as much fun as earlier, but for now I limited myself to one go on it. However I expected to return to this later.

Woody's Coaster
Having just ridden Funlandasaurus and Runaway Mine Train, I now wanted to ride Woody's Coaster, in order to have ridden all three coasters in succession. I limited myself to just one go on Woody's Coaster, and that ended up being my final go of the day on it.

Beaver Creek Log Ride
Funland's large log flume. Originally called Wild River Log Flume, my first time of seeing it called Beaver Creek Log Flume was in November 2013. In order to prevent myself getting wet, I donned my all-in-one splashsuit before getting into one of the logs. The log sailed out of the station, around a bend, through a tunnel and around another bend. From there the log went up the lift hill, around the u-bend at the top and down the big drop to create a mighty splash. Finally the log entered the station and I disembarked. I had four goes altogether; between each of those I had to disembark and wait for another vacant log, but thankfully the wait was minimal if at all each time.

By now the sky had clouded over, but it was still dry.

Dino Falls
Funland's mini log flume. I think this one is primarily aimed at children, but adults can ride it. Being as I was already wearing my splashsuit, now was the perfect time to ride Dino Falls. Known as Blizzard Falls Log Flume until my last visit to Funland in October 2014, this was my first ever time of seeing it called Dino Falls. Apart from the name change, the ride experience was just the same as its Blizzard Falls days. The log sets off from the platform, around a u-bend, up the lift hill and down again. After the landing splash (which isn't very big) the log continues around another u-bend and back into the station. The rise and fall are quite small, and the overall ride duration is quite short, but it is still a fun ride. This ride was walk-on, and I enjoyed two goes straight off on this, without having to disembark between goes. Having disembarked I removed my splashsuit.

Afternoon Coffee
At this point I felt like a coffee, so I looked for somewhere to get one. I ended up going to Seaview Fish and Chips to get one; I sat inside to drink it.

Meanwhile back outside, it started to rain. There was about an hour still to go before the park was due to close, and the rides continued operating in the rain, so I put my splashsuit back on and resumed riding. During my remaining time at Funland, the rain became heavier, but I was determined to ride until closing time. Unsurprisingly the park became rather quiet during my remaining time there. Being as I had already ridden all three roller coasters once each, and both log flumes at least twice each since lunch, I rode a few flat rides next.

Extreme
My first ride after my afternoon coffee break was on Extreme. Riding it now was just the same as when I rode it during the morning. Just like when I rode it in the morning, one go was enough for me for now on this Miami ride. This ended up being my final go of the day on Extreme.

Cyclone
Having not yet been on Cyclone since my after-lunch walk, I felt overdue to ride it again. Riding it now was just as much fun as earlier in the day, but I limited myself to one go on it for now.

Flying Saucer
So far I hadn't ridden Flying Saucer all day, and I was determined to have one go on it, so I rode this next. This operated at Paultons for several years. Since 2012 it has been operating at Funland. It has an outer ring (where the seats are), linked by four spokes to its centrepiece. Initially it's level, but soon after it starts it rises to an angle so you go up and down as well as spin. Eventually it returns to the level position for its final few spins before slowing down and stopping. Although not a particularly exciting ride, it was worth riding to say I'd been on it this trip. This was my only go on Flying Saucer all day.

Cannibal Pots
My final go of the day on Cannibal Pots. This time I sat in cauldron number 5.

Runaway Mine Train
Determined to have at least one more go on this mouse coaster before closing time, I went on Runaway Mine Train. I ended up having two goes. My second go ended up being my final coaster ride of the day at Funland.

Cyclone
Now for another go on Cyclone. Once again I limited myself to one go on it, not only because one go at a time is enough for me on this, but also I wanted to go on other rides before closing time. I made the most of this go on Cyclone as I was aware that this might have to be my final go of the day on it.

Dino Falls
Although I had been on this mini log flume earlier in the afternoon, I was determined to fit in a few more goes on it before closing time. This time around I had two goes on it. Hence my second go ended up being my final log flume ride of the day at Funland.

Samba Balloon
Closing time was now fast approaching, and I was determined to fit in at least one more ride before closing time. I approached the Samba Balloon next because a) it is located close to Dino Falls and b) it was stationary and awaiting riders. Although this is a rather tame ride, I still enjoyed this go on Samba Balloon, knowing this may well be my final ride of the day. Obviously I limited myself to just one go on Samba Balloon.

Cyclone
Having left Samba Balloon, I headed straight for Cyclone. When I got there it was still open and accepting riders for what was to be its final run of the day. Knowing this would therefore have to be my last go of the day on Cyclone, I made the most of this go. The perfect ride to round off my day at Funland.

Summary of day in order of activity

Coffee and flapjack at Beachlands Cafeteria

Runaway Mine Train 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Samba Balloon 1
Cyclone 1
Woody's Coaster 1
Extreme 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Woody's Coaster 1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: orange 1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: green 1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Cyclone 1

Lunch at Beachlands Cafeteria
Walk along beach and grassland

Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon) 1
Runaway Mine Train 1
Woody's Coaster 1
Beaver Creek Log Ride 4
Dino Falls 2

Coffee at Seaview Fish and Chips

Extreme 1
Cyclone 1
Flying Saucer 1
Cannibal Pots 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Cyclone 1
Dino Falls 2
Samba Balloon 1
Cyclone 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Ride
4
Cannibal Pots
3
Cyclone
5
Dino Falls
4
Extreme
2
Flying Saucer
1
Funlandasaurus (Super Dragon)
3
Runaway Mine Train
6
Samba Balloon
2
Sid's sizzling snake slides: green
1
Sid's sizzling snake slides: orange
1
Woody's Coaster
3
TOTAL
35

Journey Home
The rides closed at 17:00. Without further ado I left Funland for the final time and caught the 17:08 bus from Beachlands to Havant Bus Station. Having arrived there at 17:34, I had time to get takeaway cod and large chips from Havant Fish Bar before catching the 18:00 train from Havant to Bath Spa. I ate my takeaway when I got on the train. I finally reached Bath Spa at 20:12 and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
High overall ride count.
Adding Runaway Mine Train to my coaster count.
Sliding Sid's sizzling snake slides for the first time ever.
Riding Sid's Woody's Roller Coaster, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and other rides again.
Rides mostly walk-on; the few queues that did occur were very short.

Lowlights
Drop tower was out of action all day.
Rain late afternoon.

Summing Up
Altogether a coaster crazy day at Funland, Hayling Island my final send-off to the 2016 coaster season. Although a small park, I enjoyed riding three roller coasters, two log flumes, five other rides and two tube slides. It was definitely worthwhile me travelling from Bath to Hayling Island and back in one day just to visit such a small park. It was great adding Runaway Mine Train to my coaster count, sliding Sid's sizzling snake slides for the first time ever and riding the other rides again. Just one point about the three coasters (Runaway Mine Train, Woody's Roller Coaster, Funlandasaurus), they're all steel. Come on Funland, get some wood! It's a pity the Drop tower was out of action all day, and therefore I missed out on one of the best rides in the park, but never mind. Thankfully it was sunny most of the day, it's a pity it started raining late afternoon, but nonetheless that didn't deter me from riding during what was left of opening time. The park was rather quiet all day, presumably because it was mid-October. That often meant I was the only person wanting to go on a particular ride, and the few queues that did occur were very short. The upshot of this was that I managed to get a high overall ride count.

No comments:

Post a Comment