Monday 4 December 2017

Nemesis Nick at Brean Leisure Park 2 September 2017

Date: Saturday 2 September 2017
Venue: Brean Theme Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 2 September 2017.

Rationale for Trip
Having attended the RCCGB Summer Bash at Brean Leisure Park early September 2011, and gone there alone in September 2012, June 2013, June 2014, July 2015 and July 2016, I was equally determined to go there again this year. I originally favoured going one Saturday in the second half of July, but for various reasons it took me until 2 September 2017 to go there.

Getting to Brean Leisure Park
I awoke exceptionally early to get ready in time to catch the 07:15 bus from Bath Bus Station to Bristol Bus Station, whereupon I caught the 08:20 bus to Weston-super-Mare. Having left that bus outside Weston-super-Mare Tesco, I walked to nearby Neva Road where I caught the 09:39 bus to Brean. I left the bus at Flamingo Inn, Brean at 10:15.

Brean Leisure Park

Morning Coffee
Having reached Brean, I had ample time to get myself a coffee somewhere before Brean Theme Park was due to open at 11:00. I went to Subway where I had a regular coffee and chocolate chip cookie.

Morning Riding

Admission
After leaving Subway, I walked straight to Brean Leisure Park. When I got there around 10:50 the gates to Brean Theme Park were still closed, and people were queuing outside them to go in. For now I went into the building which houses The Tavern and other amenities. At 11:00 the gates opened and the people already waiting proceeded into Brean Theme Park, and I followed suit. Without further ado I joined the queue for one of the wristband kiosks, but had to wait a few minutes for my turn to purchase an all-day wristband. Looking back I'd have done better to have joined the queue outside the gates as soon as I got there, that way I might have been further ahead in the queue when the gates opened and, in turn, had a shorter wait for a wristband. Anyway, just like in 2015 and 2016, wristbands purchased in the morning were valid until ride closing time, which today was 21:00. Furthermore a free firework display was due to take place after dark today. Unfortunately I couldn't have stayed until 21:00 even if I'd wanted to as the last bus back to Weston was soon after 19:00. A bear (costume character) was in the vicinity of the wristband queue, so once fitted with my wristband, I had my photo taken beside that bear nearby. After that, I was eager to start riding. Since I wanted to start the day on Astro Storm, I headed straight for Astro Storm at the other end of the park.

Astro Storm
When I got to Astro Storm, I was told there would be about five minutes' wait before it was due to open. I simply waited in the queue line for those few minutes. This Zierer Four Man Bob is the former Space Invader 2 from Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Late July 2011 it began operating at Brean Theme Park as Astro Storm. The 3-seater train, which resembles a space ship, goes through the doors, turns right and climbs the lift hill. Lighting effects on the lift hill include flashing lights. Personally I think they're superfluous really. At the top there's a thrusting sound and the train winds its way along the course of the track. Along the way, strong air currents add to the fun, though I question their significance considering there is no air in Space! Finally there are more bizarre lighting effects in the home straight before the train stops at the exit platform. I enjoyed six goes on this: Si7 front (this was Astro Storm's first run of the day), Si3 front, Si2 back, Si7 front, Si2 front, Si7 back.

Caterpillar Coaster
This D.P.V. Rides Minicoaster Apple has been operating at Brean since 2001. Unlike the other three coasters, one ride consists of two laps of the track by default. Not a particularly exciting coaster but to me riding this was as important as the other bigger coasters. I had two goes: back row (for some mysterious reason, this go consisted of three laps), followed by seventh row (this go consisted of the default two laps).

Crazy Loop
This Pinfari preZyklon TL59 looping coaster originally operated as Crazy Loop at Flamingo Land (Malton) and Pleasure Island Cleethorpes. From 2004 to 2014 it operated at Brean under the name Shockwave. Since 2015, Brean Theme Park has called this Crazy Loop, presumably a restoration of its original Flamingo Land name. The lift hill, first drop, vertical loop and other elements made for a fun ride, albeit a bit rough. I would now describe this ride as a bone-shaker. Although not my favourite looping coaster, I nonetheless enjoyed two goes; back row, followed by second row.

Magic Mouse
So far I had ridden three of the Park's four roller coasters, so I wanted to ride the mouse coaster Magic Mouse next. This Reverchon Spinning Coaster has been operating at Brean since 2007. The ride car leaves the station, climbs the lift hill and works its way along a series of straight bits and U-bends. I enjoyed two goes, both of which were in car 5.

Now that I had ridden all four roller coasters at least twice each, I wanted to ride one non-coaster ride before lunch.

Disk'O
A run-of-the-mill Disk'o made by Zamperla. Although this particular one was built in January 2005, it began operating at Brean in 2015. Just like any other Zamperla Disk'o, riders sit at the edge of a giant disk facing outwards; on this occasion I sat in seat 10. The disk spins whilst travelling a u-shaped track back and forth. In my opinion, the ride experience was no different to any other Zamperla Disk'o I've ridden elsewhere. A fun ride, but once was enough; just like any other Disk'o there's no way I could take two goes straight off. This was my only go on Disk'o all day as I didn't return to it later. Furthermore this was also my final ride before lunch.

Lunch at Subway
Since I was now feeling peckish, I left Brean Theme Park to get some lunch at nearby Subway. When I got there at 13:20 I had to wait a few minutes to be served. When it was my turn I chose a 6 inch ham Sub meal deal, which included a regular drink (I chose 7-up). After finishing my Sub, I had a white chip Macadamia nut cookie.

After-Lunch Walk
Knowing it would be unwise to return to riding immediately after lunch, I went for a short walk next. I walked along the path opposite Brean Leisure Park to the beach. When I got there, I walked around part of it for a few minutes and had a few pictures taken of me there. One can see Brean Down and Steep Holm from the beach. The tide was well out at the time, so when I got to the part of the beach closest to the breaking waves (without actually going in the sea), I was a considerable distance from the grassy sand dunes. Eventually I walked back to Brean Leisure Park.

Afternoon Riding
Just after 14:30 I returned to Brean Theme Park, eager to resume riding. So far I had ridden all four roller coasters at least twice each, and the Disk'O once, so now was the time to try out some of the rides I missed before lunch.

Wave Swinger
My first ride of the afternoon was the Wave Swinger. Just like any other Wave Swinger, the central unit rose up and tilted as it spun around. Another fun ride, but once was enough for me for now. In fact, this was my only go on Wave Swinger all day.

Ultimate
A set of ride cars suspended from spokes protruding from a central structure. As the central structure spins clockwise at high speed, the ride cars go up and down over the perimeter undulations, and are flung outwards due to centrifugal force. I sat in car 8. Although another fun ride, once was enough for me.

X Factory
This KMG ride looks and works like a Miami. Its row of seats beneath two vertical arms goes up, sideways and down. The ride also has water jets, but they aren't always used; they weren't used on this particular go. Going up, across and down was extremely exciting. My one go now was my only go on this all day.

Sky Diver
A drop tower. The ring of outward facing seats rose and fell several times. A fun ride, better than Trauma Tower at Woodlands or Jumping Bean at Paultons, but tame compared to Ice Blast at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. My one go this now, in seat 6, was my only go on this all day.

Crazy Loop
Next I wanted to have some more goes on the looping coaster Crazy Loop. I ended up having two geos, both of which I sat in the second row.

Afternoon Coffee
The time was now 16:05, and I felt like having a coffee somewhere. I ended up going to The Tavern where I enjoyed a regular white coffee.

Sizzler
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere; you may have seen it called Twister or perhaps Cyclone. For some strange reason Brean Theme Park call theirs Sizzler, I'm not sure why. Another fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides. For now I just had one go.

Wipe Out
A Freak-Out / Afterburner type ride which swings and spins. Each set of four seats faces inwards. The ride was great fun, but once again it seemed longer than average. Although I thoroughly enjoyed this ride, by the time it finished I felt I'd been on there long enough. Put it this way, there's no way on Earth I could have two goes straight off on this type of ride. In fact my one go on Wipe Out now was my only go it all day.

Wild Water
A log flume. Even though it was still quite warm with hazy sunshine, I put my cagoule on so as not to get wet. However I didn't bother putting my leggings on as I was wearing shorts. When it was my turn I got into a log and set off. The log went up the first lift hill, and down creating a splash. After that it went up the second (taller) lift hill, and down creating an even bigger splash. Finally the log returned to the station. Altogether a fun ride. Afterwards I had a second go. At the end of my second go I had a couple of pictures taken of me before I took my cagoule off.

Astro Storm
At this point I approached the indoor dark coaster Astro Storm, hoping to have a few more goes on it, and thus bump up my cumulative count for the day. Unfortunately, when I got there the queue was quite long. Determined to ride it, I joined the back of the queue and had to wait about 20 minutes to get on. When it was my turn to board, I sat in ride car Si3. Due to the long queue, I limited myself to just one go this time.

Sizzler
My final ride before leaving was the Sizzler. Unfortunately this too now had a rather lengthy queue, and since I was aiming to catch the 18:08 bus to Weston-super-Mare, I was in two minds about waiting for this. After a few runs (during which I looked at my watch several times) it was my turn to ride. Just like when I rode it earlier, Sizzler gave its riders an exciting spin around. A fast and thrilling ride to round off my day at Brean. Once the ride ended, I exited Brean Theme Park and headed straight for the bus stop.

Summary of day in order of activity

Astro Storm 6
Caterpillar Coaster 2
Crazy Loop 2
Magic Mouse 2
Disk'O 1

Lunch at Subway
Walk along part of Brean Beach

Wave Swinger 1
Ultimate 1
X Factory 1
Sky Diver 1
Crazy Loop 2

Coffee at The Tavern

Sizzler (Cyclone) 1
Wipe Out 1
Wild Water (log flume) 2
Astro Storm 1
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
7
Caterpillar Coaster
2
Crazy Loop
4
Disk'O
1
Magic Mouse
2
Sizzler
2
Sky Diver
1
Ultimate
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
2
Wipe Out
1
X Factory
1
TOTAL
25

Saturday Evening

Bus to Weston-super-Mare
Back at the bus stop I caught the 18:08 bus to Weston-super-Mare. At 18:40 I left the bus at Clarence Road North bus stop and walked northwards along the sea front lawns.

Takeaway
By the time I was close to Grand Pier, I felt ready for a meal. I went to Winston's Fish Bar, where I bought takeaway cod and standard chips, and sat in the paved area across the road from the beach to eat them. Afterwards I had a whippy ice cream from Charlie's Sweet Factory. Fish and chips and an ice cream are two must-haves when you're at the seaside.

Journey Home
Having finished my ice cream, my next priority was to catch the next available bus to Bristol. Without further ado, I walked to Alexandra Parade (stop CC), and got there just in time for the 19:26 bus to Bristol. Having reached Bristol Bus Station at 20:35, I caught the 20:40 bus to Bath Bus Station. I finally reached Bath Bus Station at 21:35 and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Re-riding all four coasters and many other rides that I first rode September 2011.
Having six goes straight off on Astro Storm during the morning.
Reasonably high total ride count.

Lowlights
The park became quite busy, and hence some ride queues quite long, late afternoon.

Summing Up
Altogether a fun day out. This was my seventh visit to Brean to-date and my sixth solo visit there. During the morning most rides were walk-on. Unfortunately the Park became rather busy late afternoon, presumably due to the firework night, and thus the queues were a bit long for my liking towards the end of my visit. Hence my ride count was down a good bit on my 2015 and 2016 visits, but nonetheless still quite high. It was great riding all four coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Crazy Loop, Magic Mouse) and other rides again. Just one point about the four coasters, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood! Best of all it was dry all day and mostly sunny.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment