Tuesday 10 May 2016

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 Semi-Final 1

Host country: Sweden (SVT)
Venue: Globe Arena, Stockholm
Hosts: Petra Mede and Måns Zelmerlöw
Date: Tuesday 10 May 2016

N.B. Any use of "tonight" or "this evening" throughout this post means Tuesday 10 May 2016. All times in this post are in BST.

The Opening
After the Eurovision ident and Charpentier's Te Deum, the first semi-final began with Måns Zelmerlöw singing last year's winning song "Heroes", accompanied by 44 children from a dance school in Sweden. This was followed by a film showing scenes from around Europe accompanied by seeds travelling to Stockholm to form the dandelion seed head logo for the Eurovision Song Contest 2016. At 20:07 Petra Mede and Måns Zelmerlöw gave their opening speech.

The Songs
Twelve minutes after the start of the show (20:12 BST) it was time for the first song. Each song was introduced by a postcard film related to the appropriate country.

Song 1: Finland - Sandhja "Sing It Away"
It's always difficult being the first song in the line-up, but anyway in any competition someone's got to be first. I quite liked Finland's entry whilst listening to the official Eurovision Song Contest 2016 album, but I'm not so keen on the live performance tonight. The dance routine (arm movements) is fine, but I'm not too keen on the lead singer's vocals in tonight's live performance; I think they're a bit overpowering. I'm not sure this merits qualification.

Song 2: Greece - Argo "Utopian Land"
Another song I was strongly swayed towards on the official album, and I think I like tonight's live performance better. This has a good musical introduction, I like the chorus, and the dance routine during the bridge. I'm not too keen on the rap part; I'm not sure that goes with the style of singing in the chorus, but nonetheless I'd like to see this in Saturday's final.

Song 3: Moldova - Lidia Isac "Falling Stars"
Another song I was swayed towards whilst listening to the album. Undeniably it's got a slow start, but the chorus is lively and catchy, accompanied the lead singer's arm movements. I like the way the astronaut suddenly appeared after the first chorus, and his dance routine on the second chorus and towards the end. I'm quite keen to see this on Saturday.

Song 4: Hungary - Freddie "Pioneer"
Now for a song I wasn't overly keen on whilst listening to the CD, and I don't think tonight's live performance is much better. Thank goodness it's not the Eurovision Dress Contest because I don't like the lead singer's ripped jeans. The start of the song is, in my opinion, a bit depressing, and the chorus isn't much much better. Please, please, please stay out of the final; you can do much better than this Hungary (e.g. András Kállay-Saunders "Running" two years ago).

Song 5: Croatia - Nina Kraljić "Lighthouse"
Welcome back Croatia having missed a couple of years. Croatia has gone for a ballad this time. Whilst listening to the album I was in two minds about whether this merit's qualification. Tonight's live performance is quite good, Nina has reasonable vocals and I like her arm movements. Interestingly parts of her dress were removed part way through the song though; does anyone know why? I'm currently borderline about seeing this on Saturday; I wouldn't mind it being there, but wouldn't miss if it's not there.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 6: The Netherlands - Douwe Bob "Slow Down"
This year's offering from the Netherlands was one of my favourite tracks on the official CD album, and I like it just as much sung live tonight. It's a very catchy song, and it's great to see the lead singer playing the guitar. What was the significance of the on-stage clock? Just when we thought it was all over, he started singing again. What was the significance of that false end? The Netherlands suffered eight consecutive years of failing to qualify 2005 to 2012 inclusive, but this definitely deserves to be in Saturday's final.

Song 7: Armenia - Iveta Mukuchyan "LoveWave"
Now for an entry which was among my lesser-liked songs on the album, and I don't think much of it sung live tonight. Admittedly this is my personal taste, but I don't like this style of music. What was the significance of the flames at certain points in the song? Please stay out of Saturday's final

Song 8: San Marino - Serhat "I Didn't Know"
Another song I wasn't particularly keen on whilst listening to the album and, in all honesty, tonight's live performance isn't much better. The first verse is spoken, which reminds me of the mid 1970s Telly Savalas hit "If". After that the lead singer starts repeatedly singing "I Didn't Know". After another spoken section comes more singing of the phrase "I Didn't Know". Altogether an odd combination of speaking and repeated singing of a short phrase. The singing part is too repetitive for my liking; I'd rather this didn't qualify. You may be small San Marino, but Valentina Monetta's offerings of 2013 and 2014 were so much better than this.

Song 9: Russia - Sergey Lazarev "You Are The Only One"
Now for a song that was among my most liked on the CD. Seeing tonight's live performance on TV is even better. It's a really powerful, catchy song. I like Sergey's arm movements and the images on the screen, e.g. eagle wings, etc. That said, is the combination of arm movements and background screen images an attempt to better Måns Zelmerlöw's arm movements and animated drawings of last year? I'd definitely like to see this in the final.

Song 10: Czech Republic - Gabriela Gunčíková "I Stand"
Czech Republic has only had a few entries since its 2007 debut, and none of them have reached the final to-date. I wasn't overly keen on this whilst listening to the album, but I think tonight's live performance is better. It's quite a good ballad, and quite well sung. I also liked the on-stage triangles which changed colour, what was the significance of that? It would be nice to see the Czech Republic qualify for once, and I wouldn't mind seeing this on Saturday, but wouldn't miss this if it's not there.

Song 11: Cyprus - Minus One "Alter Ego"
Another song I quite liked when listening to the album, and I also like the live performance tonight. This song has a very catchy chorus, but is the strobe lighting during each chorus really necessary? What's the significance of the cages? Cyprus has never won, but could 2016 be their winning year? You deserve a place in Saturday's final, I hope to see you there.

Song 12: Austria - ZOË "Loin d'ici"
This year Austria has gone for a beautiful ballad, which was one of my favourite songs on the CD album from my very first listen. I like tonight's live performance even more, including the arm movements and the on-screen images. Interestingly Austria has included French in its song, which seems odd as I always thought Austria is predominantly a German speaking country. This is one of the songs I most want to qualify. See you Saturday, you deserve to be there.

Song 13: Estonia - Jüri Pootsmann "Play"
I wasn't overly keen on this whilst listening to the album, but I think tonight's live performance is better. The verses seem a bit slow and depressing, but the chorus is really catchy. What was the significance of him holding and throwing the card part way through? I'm currently borderline about this song, I wouldn't mind it in the final, but wouldn't miss it if it's not there. Put it this way, I don't think it's as good as Estonia's 2015 entry.

A short break followed at this point.

Song 14: Azerbaijan - Samra "Miracle"
Azerbaijan have had an excellent track record since their debut entry in 2008. This is one of the songs I felt borderline about on the album. It's better sung live tonight. The first verse is a bit slow, but the chorus is quite catchy. It's got some good dance actions from the backing group. Is there any significance to the lines on the stage? Is the strobe effect towards the end really necessary? Another song I wouldn't mind in the final, but wouldn't miss if it's not there.

Song 15: Montenegro - Highway "The Real Thing"
Montenegro had two excellent ballads the last two years (2014 and 2015) but this year they've gone for a rock song. I wasn't overly keen on it on the album, and I'm not particularly keen on this sung live tonight. Whilst this is nothing like as bad as "Igranka" in 2013, this is still one of my least liked entries this year. Please stay out of this year's final, there are too many other songs I'd like to see Saturday in preference to this.

Song 16: Iceland - Greta Salóme "Hear Them Calling"
Despite living in the UK, I managed to watch Iceland's national final online, and "Hear Them Calling" was my favourite song in Iceland's national final. I immediately recognised it when I first played the CD album, and the past week this has been among my favourites on the album. I like Greta's arm movements, and the on-screen images such as birds. Interestingly during the middle eight, she was on the floor briefly and got up in a similar manner to Sweden's Loreen in 2012. This is one of the songs I most want to qualify. See you Saturday Iceland.

Song 17: Bosnia & Herzegovina - Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala "Ljubav Je"
I quite liked this the first time I saw the online preview video before Easter, and this was one of my favourites on the album. I like the instrumental introduction, similar to Lane Moje in 2004, and the verses and choruses. "Ljubav Je" in the chorus is particularly catchy and memorable. The one thing which I think spoils this is the rap during the middle eight; I'm not sure how you can marry that with the style of singing in the verses and choruses. A chalk and cheese marriage destined for divorce, I say. Anyway I like tonight's live performance more than the album version, but what's the significance of the fence. Another song which I feel deserves to qualify the most. See you Saturday Dalal & Deen.

Song 18: Malta - Ira Losco "Walk On Water"
The final song already, it's amazing how time flies! I wasn't overly keen on this when listening to the album. I'm borderline about tonight's live performance. I notice Ira's companion who is doing some kind of dance routine and other actions, but are they really necessary? I think this kind of ballad is good enough on its own without the dancer. Going by tonight's live performance, quite a reasonable ballad and very well sung; I wouldn't mind this in the final but wouldn't miss it if it's not there.

Back to the top

Televoting and Recap
After the songs finished, Petra and Måns reappeared to announce the start of the voting at 21:29 BST. A recap of the songs followed. The UK was unable to vote in tonight's final, and therefore UK viewers saw a message "UK viewers do not vote in this semi-final" at the bottom of the screen during the recap.

Back to the top

My Preferences
Here are my preferences based solely on all of tonight's performances:
Definitely want to qualify: Greece, Moldova, The Netherlands, Russia, Cyprus, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina
Wouldn't mind qualifying: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Malta
Prefer not to qualify: Finland, San Marino
Definitely don't want to qualify: Hungary, Armenia, Montenegro

So these are the ones I want to see Saturday night: Greece, Moldova, The Netherlands, Russia, Cyprus, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina, plus two (and no more) of Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Malta.

Had the UK been voting in this semi-final, I would have voted for The Netherlands, Cyprus, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Back to the top

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 Semi-Final 1 Results
Here are the results, which were announced in a random order at 21:57 BST. Any use of "tonight" still means Tuesday 10 May 2016.

My desired qualifiers:
Greece, Moldova, The Netherlands, Russia, Cyprus, Austria, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina, plus two (and no more) of Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Malta.

Actual qualifiers (in order of announcement):
Azerbaijan, Russia, The Netherlands, Hungary, Croatia, Austria, Armenia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Malta.

Bold entries represent the actual qualifiers that match my preferences.

OUT: Finland, Greece, Moldova, San Marino, Estonia, Montenegro, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina.

I am gutted and upset that Iceland and Bosnia & Herzegovina failed to qualify, as they were among the countries I most wanted to see again on Saturday. Also I'm appalled and disgusted Hungary and Armenia went through as they were two of my least liked songs tonight, and therefore on my "Definitely don't want to qualify" list. Iceland and Bosnia & Herzegovina deserved the places Hungary and Armenia took.

I'm glad Russia, The Netherlands, Austria and Cyprus as they were on my "Definitely want to qualify" list. In fact I think Austria is my favourite out of those four. They were among the best songs in tonight's semi-final and all deserved their places in the Grand Final.

Thank goodness Montenegro is out, I'd have been really disgusted had that qualified. In my opinion, I think that was my least-liked entry tonight, and therefore on my "Definitely don't want to qualify" list. I'm also glad Finland and San Marino didn't qualify as I didn't think much of their entries, and thus they ended up on my "Prefer not to qualify" list.

The most nail-biting moment tonight was when the first nine countries had been announced, and the remaining nine countries were all waiting for the last remaining place. Malta got that last place tonight. Although "Walk On Water" was a reasonable ballad and very well sung, it was one of my borderline entries, and I'd rather that last place had gone to Iceland or Bosnia & Herzegovina instead.

So that means four of my eight "Definitely want to qualify" countries (The Netherlands, Russia, Cyprus, Austria) are through. 50% success there. Four of my five "Wouldn't mind qualifying" countries (Croatia, Czech Republic, Azerbaijan, Malta) are also through.

Well done to Czech Republic for getting through, their song was on my "Wouldn't mind qualifying" list, and it's great to see them in the final for the first time after failing to qualify on their previous attempts. Interestingly Greece has failed to qualify for, to the best of my knowledge, for the first time since semi-finals were introduced in 2004. That breaks their 100% qualification record.

So whereas six finalists were known at the start of tonight's semi-final, sixteen finalists are now known. The fun continues at 20:00 BST on Thursday when another ten countries from the remaining eighteen will be picked.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment