Thursday 30 November 2017

RCCGB Mega-GLOW-Mania Weekend 2017

Date: Friday 11 August 2017 to Sunday 13 August 2017
Venues: Folly Farm, Oakwood Theme Park, Heatherton World of Activities
Who Went: Me and a large number of other RCCGB members, including Andy and Christine Hine, Alan Hunt, Ann Morgan, Bradpeet, Charlie and Emily Turner, Death, Herman Coaster, Mark and Margo Lewis, Mandy, Ryan Hackett, Stevie Bee.

DISCLAIMER: The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of everyone who attended. It's a small sample of attendees; mainly those I spoke to and/or rode with at Folly Farm and/or Oakwood. I sincerely apologise to anyone else who was at Folly Farm, Oakwood and/or Heatherton and I've not listed. Not everyone (whether or not listed above) attended all three Parks.

Introduction
The Club's annual visit to rural Pembrokeshire, primarily to visit Oakwood Theme Park. Just like in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, the Oakwood visit was on Saturday when the Park was open to the public until 22:00, thereby enabling the Club to end the day with its traditional dark ERS on Megafobia. Add-ons to Oakwood were Folly Farm near Begelly on Friday (including exclusive use of the Vintage Funfair and a cooked meal after closing time), and Heatherton World of Activities on Sunday. Just like last year, I attended Folly Farm and Oakwood, but for various reasons gave Heatherton a miss.

To make the rest of this report easier to read, I've split it into sections. Click the applicable link below to jump to the section you want to read:

Thursday 10 August 2017
Day 1 - Friday 11 August 2017
Day 2 - Saturday 12 August 2017
Day 3 - Sunday 13 August 2017
Outro

Enjoy my report at your leisure.

Thursday 10 August 2017

Getting to Kilgetty
For me the weekend began with a train journey from Bath Spa to Kilgetty. I caught the 13:36 train from Bath Spa to Cardiff Central. Since that was delayed, I only just made it to Cardiff Central in time for the connecting 14:47 train to Swansea. Thankfully I got to Swansea with plenty of time to spare for the 16:00 Swansea to Pembroke Dock train. Although I could have gone all the way to Kilgetty on that train, I left that train at Carmarthen at 16:46 so I could get myself an evening meal in the town centre.

Around 17:20 I went to Harvester for dinner. For main course I enjoyed Peri-Peri Chicken Burger and fries. A fill-it-myself salad bowl was also included. To round off my meal, I had Sundae Best for dessert. The ice cream was out of this world, real dairy ice cream. Served with Belgian chocolate sauce it was a sweet treat to round off my meal. Back at the station I completed my journey on the 19:05 train to Kilgetty. Having finally got to Kilgetty at 19:47, I checked into to the hotel in Begelly where I had pre-booked for three nights. After checking in I relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Back to the top

Day 1 - Friday 11 August 2017

Friday First Thing
When I got up at 07:30 it was raining outside. Although a dry interval was expected mid-morning, further light rain was anticipated during the afternoon. Meanwhile around 08:50 I had breakfast, consisting of cereal, a glass of orange juice, a full cooked breakfast, four triangles of toast and a carafe of coffee. That certainly filled me up for the morning!

Daytime
Since I was staying in Begelly for the second year running, I walked from my hotel to Folly Farm. Thankfully the rain had stopped by the time I left around 10:15. Folly Farm was already open and the public were being admitted when I arrived just before 10:30. The RCCGB was officially due to enter as a group at 11:00, but by showing my trip letter, badge and RCCGB membership card I was allowed in straightaway. The receptionist said I was the first RCCGB member booked on this trip to be admitted to Folly Farm.

Being as it was dry at the time, I headed straight for the zoo, starting with the meerkats, Bactrian camels, Kifaru Reserve rhino enclosure (which opened in 2016) and other nearby animals. My first sighting of other RCCGB members was Ann Morgan, Stevie Bee and several others near the giant tortoise enclosure around noon. I stopped and spoke to them for a few minutes. Around 12:15 I had a much-needed Americano at Carousel Woods Burger Bar. Having finished my coffee it was still dry outside, so I saw the rest of the zoo, starting with the giraffe enclosure. The giraffes were being fed when I got there. Thereafter I saw the penguins (including the underwater view), lion enclosure, dwarf mongoose and emus.

By 14:00 light rain began falling, so I went to Carousel Café for a light snack. There I had tuna and salad filled deli bread, plus an Americano. Afterwards I went into the Follywood section across the road, where I saw various breeds of pig in Percy's Piggery, followed by the donkey enclosure. I also had one go on the land train ride, which followed a track past various animals. Unfortunately the carriages are open sided, so the wind caused a rather cold draught through them. Back in the main part of the Park, I saw various farm animals, including sheep, goats, chickens and ponies in The Jolly Barn. I also drew a chicken on the large chalk board on which visitors are welcome to draw farm animals there. Just before 16:00 I went to Cwtch Coffee for a much-needed cappuccino. Around 16:30 I enjoyed playing on all parts of Carousel Woods indoor play structure until just before closing time of 17:30, including the 4-lane Bumper Slide, tube slides and multi-level towers. A fun way to round off normal opening time. My only inconvenience was having to leave my rucksack and trainers unattended by one of the play structure access points, and having to check on them from time to time. There really ought to be lockers nearby for you to put luggage in.

Exclusive Fair Session
Folly Farm officially closed at 17:30. For us the best was yet to follow: our Exclusive Fair Session (EFS) in the Vintage Funfair. During this part of the day I wore my RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt, fluorescent pink sports shorts and fluorescent pink football socks. Someone said my socks would be just the thing to wear during the dark ERS on Megafobia Saturday evening. The Club began riding around 17:40. Together the Club rode 1937 Coronation Speedway, 1950s Caterpillar Ride, Jets and Rock n' Roll Waltzer once each. The next ride was the Ghost Train; some members including me rode it twice. The last ride before dinner was the 1938 Dodgem Track; I only had one go on it but some members had two goes.

At 18:20 it was time for dinner in the Funfair Restaurant. Members had fish and chips, sausage and chips or pasta Bolognese (specified when booking this trip); I had fish and chips. Nev also gave a speech. After dinner we had more rides, starting with one go on the Chair-o-Plane. The next ride was 1936 Lakin Swirl; a few members including me were lucky enough to have two goes on it. This was followed by one go on Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers. After that the Club rode 1950s Cyclone Twist; some including me managed to have two goes on it. The EFS ended with the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Some members had multiple goes on Brooklyn Cakewalk; I had seven goes on it, which was more than I expected.

Alphabetic Summary Table of EFS Rides

Ride
Total
Brooklyn Cakewalk
7
1950s Caterpillar Ride
1
Chair-o-Plane
1
1937 Coronation Speedway
1
1950s Cyclone Twist
2
1938 Dodgem Track
1
Folly Farm's Famous Gallopers
1
Ghost Train
2
Jets
1
1936 Lakin Swirl
2
Rock n' Roll Waltzer
1
TOTAL
20

Rest of Friday
When the EFS ended, the day was over and we all had to return to the car park. The sky was still overcast when everyone left the funfair building, but thankfully it was dry. Mark and Margo kindly gave me a lift back to my hotel. Having arrived there at 19:58 I relaxed in my room the rest of the evening.

Friday Summary
Altogether a worthwhile appetiser to Mega-GLOW-Mania at Oakwood. I particularly enjoyed playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure for nearly an hour late afternoon. Best of all was the EFS after 17:30: a few vintage rides, a meal, and more vintage rides ending with the Brooklyn Cakewalk. Wearing my self-designed black RCCGB Fun Night T-shirt, fluorescent pink shorts and fluorescent pink football socks just for that part of the day added to the fun of the EFS. Basically the visit to Folly Farm can be summed up as a leisurely day around the farm, zoo and other attractions, culminating in a spin on the vintage rides early evening, as a warm-up to Oakwood the day after. The biggest let-down was the weather; it's a pity the sky was overcast all day and it was a bit chilly for August. Fortunately it stayed dry until around 14:00, thereby giving me enough time to see most of the zoo during that dry spell. Many thanks to Andy Hine for arranging this trip, including EFS, to Folly Farm; I hope it continues as part of Mega-GLOW-Mania next year and beyond. Thanks also to the ride staff for operating the rides and caterers for providing the meal after closing time, and to Mark and Margo for giving me a lift back to my hotel in the evening.

Folly Farm's special mention of the RCCGB is available here

More about Friday at Folly Farm available here

Back to the top

Day 2 - Saturday 12 August 2017

Saturday First Thing
Having awoke at 06:30, I had an early breakfast at 07:45. It consisted of a choice of cereal, a glass of orange juice, a full cooked breakfast, four triangles of toast and a carafe of coffee. At 08:48 Mark and Margo arrived to give me a lift to Oakwood.

Welcome to Oakwood
Mark, Margo and I arrived at Oakwood at 08:56, and everyone was still waiting outside the Park entrance. Almost straightaway some members noticed I was wearing an old sweatshirt. I had deliberately put that on as, due to its condition (slightly stained anyway) it wouldn't matter too much if some UV powder got on it during the dark ERS, as I anticipated was almost inevitable. At 09:00 the Club entered the Park for the morning ERS.

Morning ERS
The day began with a one hour ERS on Oakwood's famous wooden coaster Megafobia. During this hour I enjoyed eight goes; I sat next to Death, Stevie Bee, Christine Hine and Alan Hunt once each and Mandy twice.

Free Time
When the ERS ended, members dispersed around the Park. Due to the front field having been planted with crops for an event later in the year, and no suitable alternative open space for ball games, it was not possible for the Club to have a baseball match early afternoon unlike previous years. Therefore once the morning ERS ended, there were no further communal activities planned as part of the trip itinerary until the dark ERS on Megafobia after closing time.

I began normal opening time by riding Spooky 3D once with Mark and Margo. Quite frankly I was disappointed with this dark ride; I didn't find it particularly scary and the 3D effect wasn't that brilliant. Next I enjoyed two goes on the new-for-2017 coaster Flight of the Giant Peach (which is part of the new themed area Dahland). Although a fun ride, each go was over too quickly for my liking. Afterwards I went on the toboggan run Bobsleigh, but due to its lengthy queue I limited myself to one go. At this point I went to The Little Darlings Café in Neverland for a much-needed coffee. Having finished my coffee, I had a few rides in Neverland, starting with two goes on Tink's Flying School. By turning the rudder the left or right at the correct time, I took advantage of the breeze, which added to the fun; however I knew when to turn the rudder the opposite way to avoid twisting the plane excessively. Next I rode Neverland Chase once followed by Crocodile Coaster twice. Disappointingly when I rode Oakwood Aerodrome, the planes went around in a circle without going up or down, thereby resulting in a dull ride; hence I only rode them once. After that I left Neverland to ride Tea Cups once, followed by the beyond vertical drop coaster Speed twice and Treetops coaster once.

By now the time was 14:10 and I felt like a light snack, so I went to The Little Darlings' Café in Neverland for a cheese and ham Panini and a cup of coffee. After lunch I put my rucksack in storage at the Box Office as I wanted to ride some water rides next, but didn't want to take my rucksack on wet rides. Drenched was closed at the time, and didn't look as though it would be opening during the next hour or so. The first water ride I went on was Snake River Falls. Unfortunately only its two open-top slides were open; the tube slides Cobra and Python were closed. Anyway I put on my all-in-one splashsuit and rode the left and right open-top slides (as seen facing their entrances from the top) in sequence twice over. Next I headed for Waterfall, I enjoyed sliding its left and right slides (as seen facing their entrances from the top) in sequence three times over. Most times I managed to sail across the landing pool without keeling over, and thus continue some distance across the run-out. Even when I wobbled on landing, I managed to avoid falling into the water, unlike one of my goes last year. After that I went into Neverland to ride Skull Rock log flume twice. Having left Skull Rock, I met Ann Morgan near Tink's Flying School. She noticed I was wearing my all-in-one splashsuit, since as I wasn't intending to ride any more water rides for the time being, I took it off without further ado. Next I enjoyed two goes on Tink's Flying School.

At this point I briefly returned to the Box Office to put my splashsuit back in my rucksack before having another much-needed coffee at The Little Darlings Café. Having finished my coffee, I headed across to Dahland to enjoy two goes on Flight of the Giant Peach, followed by one go on The Ladybirdoline (trampolines). Jumping on one of the trampolines for just over 90 seconds was great fun. Next I had one go on the Tea Cups; riding them this time of day was just the same as when I rode them early afternoon. Afterwards I approached the Clown Coaster located in Circus Land. Officially adults can only ride it when accompanying children, but the attendant let me have one go on it when he saw my trip badge and RCCGB membership card. Although mild, riding it once meant I was now able to say I'd ridden all six coasters in one day. Having left Circus Land, I went into Neverland again, this time to ride Crocodile Coaster twice followed by Tink's Flying School once.

After collecting my rucksack from the Box Office for the final time, I headed for the Boating Lake. Along the way I saw Charlie Turner for the first time since the morning ERS, and spoke to him briefly. When I got to the boarding point for the Boating Lake, I wondered if I would be allowed to ride one of the pedaloes alone. Thankfully single riders are allowed on these pedalo boats, but understandably I found pedalling around the lake alone this time was harder than when I rode with another RCCGB member the last two years. On the way around I managed to steer well clear of the weed near Megafobia. Having disembarked I enjoyed riding Treetops coaster once followed by Speed twice. After I left Speed, the time was around 20:00. As I walked past the landing area of Waterfall shortly afterwards, I saw Nev and Stevie Bee. Feeling concerned about the possibility of UV powder being thrown around, I enquired at the Megafobia shop what time the UV powder was to go on sale. It was already on sale, but visitors were not supposed to throw it until after 21:00. I admitted that I was actually hoping to get as far away from it as possible. Next I enjoyed four goes on the drop slide Moon Landing. Around 20:20 I went to Woody's Burger Bar for a large Double Burger Meal, I consumed it in the indoor seating area.

The ColourFest UV powder paint party was billed to run from 21:00 to 21:45 as part of the After Dark event. Visitors could buy UV powder packs from the Megafobia shop to throw around under the ultra violet lighting in the designated area in front of the stage. This time I deliberately took an old grey T-shirt and an old sweatshirt with me, so I got changed into them shortly after leaving Woody's Burger Bar. Even so, for several reasons I didn't want UV powder thrown at me, so I went into Neverland. Thankfully I didn't see anyone throwing UV powder around there. Tink's Flying School was still operating, so I enjoyed one more go on it. Riding Tink's Flying School in the civil twilight seemed slightly different compared to during the day. That was my last ride of the day during normal opening time. Having left Tink's Flying School, there was still enough time for me to enjoy a cup of coffee at The Little Darlings Café before it closed at 21:30. During the final ten minutes of opening the firework display, set to music, took place. This time I watched it from a point on the hill behind Moon Landing.

Megafobia Dark ERS
With the public now gone, the finale was our one-hour dark ERS on Megafobia, accompanied by party music and disco lights in the station. Many members (but not me) were wearing or holding glow sticks, some had something with flashing lights and some were wearing hi-vis clothing. Being as some members were covered in UV powder after taking part in the ColourFest party, I deliberately wore my old sweatshirt (which was already slightly stained anyway) as I was now almost certain to get some of their second-hand UV powder on me whilst riding Megafobia. During the ERS, I enjoyed eight goes on Megafobia; I sat next to Emily Turner, Bradpeet and Mandy once each, and Charlie Turner twice (he even gave me a glow stick to hold part way through the session). Also as I guessed would happen, I ended up riding next to Michael once and Stevie Bee twice, both of whom were covered in UV powder after taking part in the ColourFest UV powder paint party, but I didn't mind as I had already deliberately prepared myself by wearing an old slightly stained sweatshirt. Altogether another hair-raising ERS, definitely the grand finale of the day. The ride seemed considerably faster and rougher than during the morning ERS. It's a pity I felt the need to wear an old shabby sweatshirt which I didn't really want to wear during this ERS, but being as certain members had taken part in the ColourFest UV powder paint party before riding during this ERS, I had no alternative but to wear something I wasn't too worried about getting a little paint powder on.

Cumulative Summary of My Rides (ERSs and Freetime Combined)

Ride
Total
Boating Lake
1
Bobsleigh
1
Clown Coaster
1
Crocodile Coaster
4
Flight of the Giant Peach
4
Megafobia
16
Moon Landing
4
Neverland Chase
1
Oakwood Aerodrome
1
Skull Rock
2
Snake River Falls: left open slide
2
Snake River Falls: right open slide
2
Speed
4
Spooky 3D
1
Tea Cups
2
The Ladybirdoline
1
Tink's Flying School
6
Treetops
2
Waterfall left slide
3
Waterfall right slide
3
TOTAL
61

Rest of Saturday
When the ERS ended at 23:11 Nev gave a short speech before everyone returned to the car park. I waited on the exit platform whilst Mark and Margo dismantled their disco lights. When they were ready to leave, Mark and Margo gave me a lift back to my hotel. After our final goodbyes outside the hotel car park I was back in my room around quarter to midnight, dead tired.

Saturday Summary
Altogether a coaster crazy day at Oakwood. Turnout was higher for Oakwood than for Folly Farm the previous day, presumably because the Oakwood trip was on a Saturday, whereas the Folly Farm visit was a Friday. It was great adding Flight of the Giant Peach to my coaster count, and re-riding each of the other five roller coasters, including Clown Coaster which I didn't expect to be able to go on, and several non-coaster rides (including Bobsleigh, Snake River Falls and Waterfall) again. Also it was great meeting other Club members again. The weather was better than that at Folly Farm the previous day; although the sky was largely cloudy (with glimpses of sunshine) all morning, the afternoon was generally sunnier and the best of the sunshine was in the evening through to sunset. The upshot of that was I felt warm enough going around in a T-shirt and shorts during the afternoon and much of the evening (unlike Friday). Best of all it was dry all day, and after sunset. Many thanks to Nev for organising the trip, the staff for operating Megafobia before opening and after closing, and to Mark and Margo Lewis for providing the dark ERS disco lighting and for giving me lifts to and from Oakwood.

More about Saturday at Oakwood available here

Back to the top

Day 3 - Sunday 13 August 2017

Introduction
The final day of Mega-GLOW-Mania weekend 2017. Mid-morning some members met at Heatherton World of Activities to enjoy go-karting and/or other activities available there (e.g. clay pigeon shooting). Nev even arranged an EGS (exclusive go-kart session) for those interested; according to the trip invitation it was billed to run from 10.00 to 11.30. For various reasons I gave Heatherton a miss. The following outlines how I spent Sunday.

Sunday First Thing
Having awoke I got ready, packed my belongings and had breakfast around 8:30. I had the same selection as Friday and Saturday morning including a full cooked breakfast. I enjoyed it at a more relaxed pace than Saturday. During breakfast I met Nev and a few other RCCGB members. It was a pleasure to speak to them one final time this trip.

From Kilgetty to Swansea
I reached Kilgetty station around 11:15, intending to catch the 11:26 train to Carmarthen. Since Kilgetty is a request stop, I had to signal to the driver for the train to stop. Having reached Carmarthen I caught the 12:24 train to Swansea, and got there at 13:12. Once there I walked straight to Swansea LC.

Swansea LC Water Park
I walked to the LC where I went water sliding for the afternoon. I entered in the pool / slides area at 13:55. The session was intended to last two hours, but since the place wasn't busy enough for the staff to need to call wristband colours out, I ended up leaving at 16:25. Whilst I was there I enjoyed the Aqua Tube (closed narrow tube slide) sixteen times, and the Aqua Slide (wide open top slide) four times. Surprisingly I managed to have eight exciting goes on the Master Blaster roller coaster water slide, which is my highest number on that to-date for one visit to Swansea LC. However, in order to maximise my slide count, I didn't go in the fun pool or the Lazy River at all this time. Altogether a wet and wild way for me to round off Mega-GLOW-Mania weekend.

Cumulative Summary of Slides

Slide
Total
Aqua Slide
4
Aqua Tube
16
Master Blaster
8
TOTAL
28

More about Sunday afternoon at Swansea LC Water Park available here

Evening Meal
Just before 17:00 I walked to Wind Street to get myself a meal somewhere. I was hoping to go to The Bank Statement (Wetherspoon), but when I got there it was closed, and looked as though it was being renovated. Further up Wind Street, I saw The Griffin pub, so I decided to get a meal there. I enjoyed a roast beef dinner for main course followed by sticky toffee pudding with custard for dessert. To drink I had half a pint of Fosters. After all that, I still had time to round off my meal with a cup of coffee.

Journey Home
Having left The Griffin around 18:30 I walked straight to the railway station. I arrived there with time to spare for the 18:51 London Paddington train. When I reached Cardiff Central at 19:50 I tried to buy myself a coffee somewhere at the station. Unfortunately the station buffet facilities on the platforms and front concourse were closed but I managed to buy a white coffee from the self-service machine at the Spar shop in the front concourse. From Cardiff Central I continued my journey on the 20:18 train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 21:36, and home soon afterwards.

Back to the top

Outro

Highlights
Three nights' B&B in Begelly, including the delicious filling breakfasts.
Visiting Folly Farm and Oakwood for the sixth year running.
Land train ride at Folly Farm Friday mid-afternoon.
Playing on Carousel Woods indoor play structure Friday late afternoon.
Exclusive Fair Session on the Vintage Funfair rides plus cooked meal in the Funfair Restaurant Friday evening.
Saturday morning ERS on Megafobia before Oakwood opened to the public.
Adding Flight of the Giant Peach to my coaster count Saturday.
Riding all the other five coasters and several non-coaster rides again at Oakwood on Saturday.
Fireworks display accompanied by music at 21:50 Saturday evening.
Saturday evening dark ERS on Megafobia after closing time Saturday evening.
Meeting Nev and Christine, Ann Morgan, Charlie and Emily Turner, Herman Coaster, Mark and Margo Lewis, Ryan Hackett, Stevie Bee and other members again.
Sliding the Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster at Swansea LC Sunday afternoon.
Eight goes on Master Blaster roller coaster water slide, my highest number to-date for a single visit to Swansea LC Water Park.
Early evening meals at Harvester, Carmarthen Thursday and The Griffin pub, Swansea Sunday.

Lowlights
Disappointing weather Friday - overcast all day and somewhat chilly for August.
Having to leave my rucksack and trainers unattended near Carousel Woods whilst playing on the structure Friday late afternoon due to lack of lockers
Two of the Snake River Falls slides (Cobra and Python) were closed Saturday.
Feeling the need to wear an old sweatshirt after the ColourFest UV powder paint party started.

Summing Up
Altogether fun-packed long weekend away. It was great to visit Folly Farm and Oakwood for the sixth year running and thus ride many of their rides (particularly Oakwood's Megafobia) again, and also meeting several other members of the RCCGB both Friday and Saturday. It was a pity about the cloudy and chilly weather at Folly Farm on Friday, but thankfully Saturday's weather at Oakwood was generally better. My visit to Swansea LC Water Park provided a wet and wild end to an amazing weekend. Many thanks again to Nev for arranging the trips to Folly Farm and Oakwood (also Heatherton for those who went), and to Mark and Margo for providing the dark ERS disco lighting Saturday evening and for giving me lifts Friday evening and Saturday morning and evening.

Mega-GLOW-Mania weekend 2017 can be likened to a three-course meal as follows:
Starter: Folly Farm on Friday
Main course: Oakwood on Saturday
Dessert: Heatherton (or in my case Swansea LC) on Sunday

One other bit of trivia worth mentioning: I went down at least one slide of some sort Friday, Saturday and Sunday as follows:
Friday: Carousel Woods Bumper Slide and tube slides at Folly Farm.
Saturday: Moon Landing drop slide at Oakwood.
Sunday: Aqua Tube, Aqua Slide and Master Blaster water slides at Swansea LC Water Park.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment