Monday 4 December 2017

Nemesis Nick at Brean Leisure Park 2 September 2017 Midi Report

Date: Saturday 2 September 2017
Venue: Brean Theme Park
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 2 September 2017.

Rationale for Trip
Having attended the RCCGB Summer Bash at Brean Leisure Park early September 2011, and gone there alone in September 2012, June 2013, June 2014, July 2015 and July 2016, I was equally determined to go there again this year. I originally favoured going one Saturday in the second half of July, but for various reasons it took me until 2 September 2017 to go there.

Getting to Brean Leisure Park
I awoke exceptionally early to get ready in time to catch the 07:15 bus from Bath Bus Station to Bristol Bus Station, followed by the 08:20 bus to Weston-super-Mare, and finally the 09:39 bus to Brean.

Brean Leisure Park

Morning Coffee
Having reached Brean at 10:15, I went to Subway where I had a regular coffee and chocolate chip cookie.

Morning Riding
After leaving Subway, I walked straight to Brean Leisure Park. When I got there around 10:50 the gates to Brean Theme Park were still closed, and people were queuing outside them. When the gates opened at 11:00, everyone proceeded through them. I had to wait a few minutes for my turn to purchase an all-day wristband. Just like in 2015 and 2016, wristbands purchased in the morning were valid until ride closing time, which today was 21:00. Furthermore a free firework display was due to take place after dark today. Unfortunately I couldn't have stayed until 21:00 even if I'd wanted to as the last bus back to Weston was soon after 19:00. Once fitted with my wristband, I had my picture taken with the bear (costume character) that was standing nearby.

After that I headed straight for the indoor dark coaster Astro Storm. When I got there, I was told there would be about five minutes' wait before it was due to open, so I waited in the queue line. When Astro Storm opened, I enjoyed six goes on it; in fact my first go was its first run of the day. Although a fun dark roller coaster, I question the need for the lighting effects (including flashing lights) on the lift hill. I also question the need for the air currents as there is no air in Space. Next I had two goes on the Caterpillar Coaster; for some mysterious reason the train did three laps on my first go, and the default two laps on my second go. After that I headed for Crazy Loop. Although not my favourite looping coaster, and very much a bone-shaker, I enjoyed two goes on it.

So far I had ridden three of the Park's four roller coasters. That just left the mouse coaster Magic Mouse. Without further ado I enjoyed two goes on Magic Mouse, both of which were in car 5. My final ride before lunch was Disk'O. As expected, the ride experience was no different to any other Zamperla Disk'o I've ridden elsewhere. A fun ride, but once was enough; there's no way I could take two goes straight off.

Lunchtime and After
Since I was now feeling peckish, I left Brean Theme Park at this point to get some lunch at Subway nearby. When I got there at 13:20 I had a 6 inch ham Sub, a regular 7-up and a white chip Macadamia nut cookie. Having left Subway I went for a walk along part of the beach for a while.

Afternoon Riding
Just after 14:30 I returned to Brean Theme Park, eager to resume riding. My first ride of the afternoon was the Wave Swinger. Although a fun ride, once was enough for me. Next I enjoyed the rapidly spinning ride Ultimate, the Miami style ride X Factory and drop tower Sky Diver once each. After that, I enjoyed two goes on the looping coaster Crazy Loop, both of which I sat in the second row.

At 16:05 I went to The Tavern for a much-needed regular white coffee. My next ride was Sizzler (generally better known among ride enthusiasts as Twister or Cyclone). Another fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but once was enough for now. Next I enjoyed one go on the Freak-Out / Afterburner type ride Wipe Out. Although I thoroughly enjoyed Wipe Out, there's no way I could have two goes straight off on this type of ride. After that I enjoyed two goes on Wild Water. This log flume has two rises and two falls. Even though it was still quite warm with hazy sunshine, I wore cagoule whilst riding Wild Water to prevent me getting wet, but removed it after my second go. Next I approached Astro Storm, hoping to have a few more goes on it. Unfortunately I had to wait about 20 minutes to get on it, so I limited myself to just one go. My final ride of the day was Sizzler. That too had a rather lengthy queue now, but after a few runs, it was my turn to ride. Sizzler was a fast and thrilling ride to round off my day at Brean. Once the ride ended, I exited Brean Theme Park and headed straight for the bus stop.

Summary of day in order of activity

Astro Storm 6
Caterpillar Coaster 2
Crazy Loop 2
Magic Mouse 2
Disk'O 1

Lunch at Subway
Walk along part of Brean Beach

Wave Swinger 1
Ultimate 1
X Factory 1
Sky Diver 1
Crazy Loop 2

Coffee at The Tavern

Sizzler (Cyclone) 1
Wipe Out 1
Wild Water (log flume) 2
Astro Storm 1
Sizzler (Cyclone) 1

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Astro Storm
7
Caterpillar Coaster
2
Crazy Loop
4
Disk'O
1
Magic Mouse
2
Sizzler
2
Sky Diver
1
Ultimate
1
Wave Swinger
1
Wild Water
2
Wipe Out
1
X Factory
1
TOTAL
25

Saturday Evening

Bus to Weston-super-Mare
Back at the bus stop I caught the 18:08 bus to Weston-super-Mare. At 18:40 I left the bus at Clarence Road North bus stop and walked northwards along the sea front lawns.

Takeaway
By the time I was close to Grand Pier, I felt ready for a meal. I went to Winston's Fish Bar, where I bought takeaway cod and standard chips, and sat in the paved area across the road from the beach to eat them. Afterwards I had a whippy ice cream from Charlie's Sweet Factory. Fish and chips and an ice cream are two must-haves when you're at the seaside.

Journey Home
Having finished my ice cream, I caught the 19:26 bus to Bristol Bus Station, followed by the 20:40 bus to Bath Bus Station. I finally reached Bath Bus Station at 21:35 and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
Re-riding all four coasters and many other rides that I first rode September 2011.
Having six goes straight off on Astro Storm during the morning.
Reasonably high total ride count.

Lowlights
The park became quite busy, and hence some ride queues quite long, late afternoon.

Summing Up
Altogether a fun day out. This was my seventh visit to Brean to-date and my sixth solo visit there. During the morning most rides were walk-on. Unfortunately the Park became rather busy late afternoon, presumably due to the firework night, and thus the queues were a bit long for my liking towards the end of my visit. Hence my ride count was down a good bit on my 2015 and 2016 visits, but nonetheless still quite high. It was great riding all four coasters (Astro Storm, Caterpillar Coaster, Crazy Loop, Magic Mouse) and other rides again. Just one point about the four coasters, they're all steel. Come on Brean, get some wood! Best of all it was dry all day and mostly sunny.

A more detailed report is available here

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment