Tuesday 12 December 2017

Nemesis Nick at Funland 14 Oct 2017

Date: Saturday 14 October 2017
Venue: Funland, Hayling Island
Who Went: Just me

N.B. Any use of "today" or "Saturday" in this report means Saturday 14 October 2017.

Rationale for Trip
After my birthday outing to Chessington World of Adventures and RCCGB Loopathon day 2 at Drayton Manor Park, I fancied a last-minute bonus coaster trip to Funland Hayling Island one Saturday during what remained of October 2017. For various reasons I chose to go Saturday 14 October 2017.

Getting to Funland
I got up early in order to catch the 07:36 GWR train from Bath Spa to Southampton Central, followed by the 09:13 Southern train to Havant. Having reached Havant at 10:04, I walked to the bus station as quickly as possible. I got there in plenty of time for the 10:20 number 30 bus to Beachlands, Hayling Island.

Funland, Hayling Island

Morning Coffee
When I finally reached Beachlands, Hayling Island at 10:41, I felt like a coffee before going into Funland. I went into Beachlands Cafeteria, which is conveniently located next-door to Funland, to enjoy a much-needed mug of coffee.

Morning Riding
Having left Beachlands Cafeteria I went straight into Funland and bought myself an all-day wristband. Once fitted with my wristband, I headed straight for the mouse coaster Runaway Mine Train.

Runaway Mine Train
This L&T Systems Wild Mouse 30x20 previously operated at Gulliver's Warrington as Wild Mine Ride from 1999 to 2015. Since 2016 it's been operating at Funland as Runaway Mine Train. It's located where Klondike Gold Mine stood from 2005 to 2015. The track layout is just like that of a typical steel mouse coaster. Its ride cars are truck-like, with a front and back row. I began my day at Funland on Runaway Mine Train. I got into the front row of one of the ride cars, and once despatched, the ride experience was similar to other steel mouse coasters. Having left Runaway Mine Train, I re-entered it to have a second go, this time in the back row of the truck I was in.

Near Runaway Mine Train I noticed the four sections of the saucer from Flying Saucer. When I passed the Flying Saucer ride itself shortly afterwards, all one could see was its base unit. Unfortunately I didn't ask any members of staff why this was the case; my guess is the ride must have been in this state for maintenance.

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
Formerly known as Cannibal Pots, this was my first time of seeing Spinning Pots on the entrance sign. However, at the time of writing, the Funland website still refers to this ride as Cannibal Pots. Anyway regardless of its current name, this is similar to a tea cup ride, but with cauldrons instead of cups. One can make the cauldron spin faster by turning the table whilst the ride is in motion. In order not to spin the cauldron too fast for my liking I only turned the table a bit for a brief part of the ride, and let the cauldron spin of its own accord the rest of the time. For now I just had one go, in cauldron number 8

Extreme
This Miami ride began operating at Funland in 2013. I didn't count how many seats there are on this particular one, but anyway, the ride experience was just like any other Miami. A fun ride, but once was enough for now.

Neptune's Fury
Neptune's Fury is new to Funland for 2017 and located where Woody's Coaster used to be until last year. It features giant seashells on turntables, which work in a similar manner to a waltzer. For now I had one go. As far as I'm concerned, it's a fun ride, one could see it as something similar to Breakdance which disappeared from Funland a few years ago. However, if it was really necessary to get rid of Woody's Coaster, I'd sooner it had been replaced with another family sized roller coaster instead of Neptune's Fury.

Beaver Creek Log Ride
Funland's large log flume. Originally called Wild River Log Flume, my first time of seeing it called Beaver Creek Log Ride was in November 2013. In order to prevent myself getting wet, I donned my all-in-one splashsuit before getting into one of the logs. The log sailed out of the station, around a bend, through a tunnel and around another bend. From there the log went up the lift hill, around the u-bend at the top and down the big drop to create a mighty splash. Finally the log entered the station and I disembarked. Having exited the ride, I re-entered to have a second go. I was hoping to have further goes after that, but when I re-entered hoping for a third go, there seemed to be a problem with the ride, so I backed off and went on something else instead.

Dino Falls
Funland's mini log flume. I think this one is primarily aimed at children, but adults can ride it. Being as I was already wearing my splashsuit, now was the perfect time to ride Dino Falls. Formerly known as Blizzard Falls Log Flume, the first time I saw this called Dino Falls was during my October 2016 visit to Funland. The log sets off from the platform, around a u-bend, up the lift hill and down again. After the landing splash (which isn't very big) the log continues around another u-bend and back into the station. The rise and fall are quite small, and the overall ride duration is quite short, but it is still a fun ride. I enjoyed two goes on this mini log flume. Having disembarked at the end of my second go I removed my splashsuit.

Funlandasaurus
This Pinfari Super Dragon MD31 previously operated at Drayton Manor Park as Super Dragon from 1984 to 2007. It began operating at Funland as Super Dragon Roller Coaster in 2008. Exactly when it officially changed its name to Funlandasaurus is unclear. The Roller Coaster Database now lists this coaster as Funlandasaurus, with Super Dragon as a former name up to 2015. Furthermore when I visited Funland in October 2014, the name on the front of the platform was Super Dragon, whereas my next visit in October 2016 was my first time of seeing Funlandasaurus on the front of the platform. For now I had two goes: front row followed by back row. Riding in the front row allowed me to have an unobstructed view of the way ahead, whereas riding in the back seat meant I could see most of the train in front of me. One ride consists of multiple laps, however I didn't count the actual number of laps per go.

Samba Balloon
A Zamperla balloon ride, similar to Diego's Rainforest Rescue in Nickelodeon Land at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Once I was seated the balloons rose and went around clockwise. Eventually the balloons returned to ground level and stopped. Undeniably this is a rather tame ride, but it's still great fun, and if nothing else, can be seen as a gentle rest ride. For now I only had one go.

By this time I saw Beaver Creek Log Ride on the unavailable rides board, so I was glad I had two goes on it when I did.

Cyclone
Just about everyone in the RCCGB must have been on this sort of ride at least once somewhere; you may have seen it called Twister. This ride has been operating at Funland since 2014. A fun ride, and still one of my favourite non-coaster rides, but once was enough for me for now. This was my final ride before lunch.

Lunchtime and After
At 13:05 I went to Jenny's Food Bar, which is located within Funland, for some lunch. Feeling like something hot, I chose jacket potato with chilli, accompanied with side salad. I also had a mug of coffee. Having left Jenny's Food Bar, I exited Funland altogether and went for a walk along the beach in an easterly direction. The sun was now fully out and I felt warm enough in just a T-shirt and shorts outside. After a while I continued my walk across the grassland and back to Funland.

Afternoon Riding
Around 14:10 I returned to Funland and without further ado returned to riding.

Funlandasaurus
Being as I re-entered Funland via the entrance nearest to Funlandasaurus, it made sense to begin my afternoon riding the roller coaster Funlandasaurus. I had two goes, ninth row followed by sixth row. Once again, each go consisted of multiple laps. My second go ended up being my final go of the day on Funlandasaurus as I didn't return to it later in the afternoon.

Samba Balloon
My first non-coaster ride of the afternoon was the Samba Balloon. Having got into basket number 3, the ride experience was just the same as when I rode it in the morning. My one go on Samba Balloon now ended up being my final go of the day on it as I didn't return to it later in the afternoon.

Runaway Mine Train
Now for some more goes on the mouse coaster Runaway Mine Train. For now I ended up having just two goes, front row followed by back row, but I expected to return to this coaster later.

Neptune's Fury
So far I had only been on the new-for-2017 ride Neptune's Fury giant shell ride once in the morning, so I felt it was about time I had my first go of the afternoon on it. The ride experience was just the same as when I rode it in the morning. Once again I limited myself to just one go. This ended up being my final go of the day on Neptune's Fury as I didn't return to it later in the afternoon.

Cyclone
My next ride of the afternoon was Cyclone. The ride set off just as it did when I rode it just before lunch. Before it could get up to full speed, it slowed down and stopped. Once it restarted, it accelerated to full speed and continued for the full allotted ride duration. Despite the early interruption, this still counted as just one run; as I left I found out from the attendant that the unexpected stop early on was because one rider wanted to get off.

Extreme
So far I had only ridden this Miami ride once in the morning, so now seemed to be the perfect time to ride it again. The ride experience was just the same as when I rode it in the morning. Once again I limited myself to one go. This ended up being my only go on Extreme during the entire afternoon as I didn't return to it later.

Afternoon Coffee
The time was now 15:40, and I felt like another coffee so I went to Jenny's Food Bar for a mug of coffee. This was my final visit to Jenny's Food Bar for the day. Having left Jenny's Food Bar at 16:00 I immediately returned to riding.

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
So far I had only been on the Spinning Pots once in the morning, therefore I was long overdue another go on them. When I approached it this ride it was stationary, and no-one else was waiting for it. I got into pot 7, and was still the only rider present when the ride started. Once again, I mostly let the pot spin of its own accord; I hardly spun the table myself to alter its spin speed. When the ride finished, the attendant asked me if I wanted a second go, and I agreed. Being as no-one else was waiting to get on I was able to remain in pot 7 for my second go. Once my second go finished I exited Spinning Pots as I wanted to go on other rides during what remained of the afternoon.

Before my next ride I felt the need to put my blue Team Bath hoody back on, but I was able to go around in shorts until after I began my train journey home from Havant.

Runaway Mine Train
My final two goes of the day on the mouse coaster Runaway Mine Train. This time I had one go in the back row followed by one go in the front row.

Beaver Creek Log Ride
Now that the large log flume was operating again, I was determined to have a few more goes on it. Having put on my all-in-one splashsuit, I enjoyed four goes on Beaver Creek Log Ride.

Dino Falls
Being as I was already kitted out for wet rides, I had two goes on the small log flume Dino Falls. After my second go I removed my splashsuit.

Cyclone
Having left Dino Falls, ride closing time was fast approaching. Nonetheless I headed straight for Cyclone. When I got there it was still open and the attendant was accepting riders for what was to be Cyclone's final run of the day. Knowing this would therefore have to be my last go of the day on Cyclone, I made the most of this go. The perfect ride to round off my day at Funland.

Evening Meal
The rides closed at 17:00. However Seaview Fish & Chips, which is part of Funland, remained open a little longer, so I decided to have cod and chips, served on a plate, to eat there. As soon as I had finished my fish and chips I left Seaview Fish & Chips and headed towards Beachlands bus stop.

Summary of day in order of activity

Coffee at Beachlands Cafeteria

Runaway Mine Train 2
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 1
Extreme 1
Neptune's Fury 1
Beaver Creek Log Ride 2
Dino Falls 2
Funlandasaurus 2
Samba Balloon 1
Cyclone 1

Lunch at Jenny's Food Bar
Walk along part of the beach and grassland

Funlandasaurus 2
Samba Balloon 1
Runaway Mine Train 2
Neptune's Fury 1
Cyclone 1
Extreme 1

Coffee at Jenny's Food Bar

Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots) 2
Runaway Mine Train 2
Beaver Creek Log Ride 4
Dino Falls 2
Cyclone 1

Cod and chips at Seaview Fish & Chips

Cumulative Summary of Rides

Ride
Total
Beaver Creek Log Ride
6
Cyclone
3
Dino Falls
4
Extreme
2
Funlandasaurus
4
Neptune's Fury
2
Runaway Mine Train
6
Samba Balloon
2
Spinning Pots (Cannibal Pots)
3
TOTAL
32

Journey Home
As I headed towards Beachlands bus stop a bus was approaching. I got to that bus stop just in time for that bus, which was the one I wanted to catch - the 17:36 number 31 bus to Havant Bus Station. Having got there at 17:58, I headed towards Havant railway station. Along the way I looked for somewhere to get a takeaway coffee, I managed to get one from Parade Mart Havant. When I got to Havant railway station, I caught the 18:22 Southern train to Southampton Central, followed by the 19:10 GWR train to Bath Spa. I finally reached Bath Spa at 20:40 and home a few minutes later.

Outro

Highlights
High overall ride count.
Adding Neptune's Fury to my ride count.
Riding Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus, both log flumes and other rides again.
Rides mostly walk-on.

Lowlights
Drop tower was out of action all day.

Summing Up
Altogether a coaster crazy day out, and almost certain to be my final visit to an amusement park for 2017. Although a small park, I enjoyed riding two roller coasters, two log flumes and five other rides. It was great adding Neptune's Fury to my ride count, and riding the other rides I had previously ridden again. Just one point about the two coasters (Runaway Mine Train, Funlandasaurus), they're both steel. Come on Funland, get some wood! My biggest disappointment was seeing the Drop tower not running again; in fact this time I noticed it was blocked off around its base. One member of staff I spoke to said the Drop tower has been out of action for about two years now, and they're going to take it down soon. The park was rather quiet all day, presumably because it was mid-October. That sometimes meant I was the only person wanting to go on a particular ride. The upshot of this was that I managed to get a high overall ride count. Above all, it was definitely worthwhile me travelling from Bath to Hayling Island and back in one day just to visit such a small park. Finally the weather was good for mid-October; after a cloudy (but dry) morning the afternoon was mostly sunny, and surprisingly I felt warm enough going around in just a T-shirt and shorts for most of the afternoon.

Back to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment